Road Trip Library

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
So, I had an idea. Most of you know that I spend a lot of time in the back country of the PNW. I always have my GPS on and record track logs. I sometimes take pictures of interesting stuff that I see along the way.

So, how about I post up some of my travels. I could put the track logs up, some pictures, a description of the trail and miscellaneous verbal tidbits about the trip. We could all do that for our favorite road trips and start a collection of trips and trails that others could use. We all have our favorite places to take our TJ's and this would be a way to share. If we get enough of them, maybe Chris would put a section on the forum for them, to keep them in one place and organized. Kind of like a road trip library that we could use to plan outings. What'cha all think?

terrific.

be sure to include the tread lightly parts. dos, donts, of travel in these areas you love. no doubt a few idiots will want to terrorize the environment. you might even regret giving out too much location information.

Reactions: StG58
Good points, @billiebob . I pretty much trust most of the folks on here, but random folks would be able to view and use the tracks and trail notes. Let me see if I can work something up in the next few days and we can all make comments on what works, additions and subtractions, etc. There's a couple of places that are fun, with pretty durable environments, that I could use as experiments before going crazy. Keep the ideas coming!

Edited to add: I've got a road trip scheduled for tomorrow with the family to take the oldest daughter out to shoot her new to her "pimp" revolver. That would be a good chance to try the concept out. We could build on that as to content and layout.

Last edited:
Sure, man. I love trip reports, maps, waypoints, etc. There is an offroad group here in Colorado called 'TrailDamage' where they've essentially done just that. I don't know anybody that's actually a member of the group (invitation-only) but EVERYONE I know in CO uses that site. Its like our offroad Bible. My favorite feature is they post all of the trails and waypoints in both .gpx (Garmin) and .kmz (Google Earth) formats. I always download the trails and load them into my GPS apps.

Here's a sample from one of my favorite trails: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=11

The site may give you some ideas.

Reactions: StG58
Thanks for the link @JFjeld , that's pretty much what I had in mind. I'll have to play with the Google Earth formats as I've never used it.

It would be nice to have a library of places to look up trails and such when we go to new areas. It would sure draw traffic to the site, wouldn't it? Need to figure out how to filter the ID10T's out though. @billiebob has a good point on that one.

Sounds good to me, I'd love to see it.

Maybe a 'Trips & Trails' section is in order perhaps?

That would be a nice area for people to post threads about trips and trails they use.

Try BackCountry Navigator for the mapping routing features. Works very well with android phones and tables like Samsung.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Try BackCountry Navigator for the mapping routing features. Works very well with android phones and tables like Samsung.
I was looking at Samsung tablets and a dedicated Garmin GPS receiver. The Garmin is a high resolution hockey puck that relies on an external processor for calculations and data display. It looks good in theory, but I don't have the cash to prove it out right now. It's on the list.

Reactions: MikeM and Chris