Road trips in my '04 TJ

Salhuerta

Hey everyone! Just got myself an '04 TJ with about 60k miles on it. It was a rental and I am only the 3rd owner (the CarFax showed a good history of maintenance).

I live in Phoenix (it gets pretty hot here) and used to take road trips to El Paso or Los Angeles, both of which are about 800 miles round-trip, in a reliable '19 sedan I owned prior to this Jeep. The drives are pretty much always hot and the A/C is usually blasting with the 110+ heat.

Just wanted to gauge the forum for advice - should I feel comfortable taking my TJ on these road trips? My worry is that the TJ breaks down somewhere in New Mexico or the California Desert and we have no A/C until AAA (or someone) comes to save us. I should mention that I would be travelling with a dog, and I worry it would be too hot for a dog to handle the desert heat if the Jeep were to break down...

Anything helps!

I think one concern that people over look on TJ 4.0l heat soak issue running in hot weather. Basically you need to make sure your fuel rail and injectors are insulated. Make sure all your fluids are topped off and any maintenance up to date before any long road trip. Do you a have 4.0? Do you have a hard top? I wouldn't drive in hot weather without closing up the TJ's tops so you can run the AC to keep cool. Also make sure you have a full tank if doing long trails or long roads with absence of gas station stops. I get on average on Highway 16mpg. I have lift, larger tires and the 4.0l so your mpg will vary from mods and speed.

I am in Phoenix also and would like some hood vents to release engine heat. I am open to recommendations and suggestions.

It only getting up to 110 at my house today.
I have had my TJ running without shutting it off for 8 hours, driving to town and shopping it sits and idle with the AC on while in the stores.
Never over heats.

My worry is that the TJ breaks down somewhere in New Mexico or the California Desert and we have no A/C until AAA (or someone) comes to save us. I should mention that I would be travelling with a dog, and I worry it would be too hot for a dog to handle the desert heat if the Jeep were to break down...
This is absolutely something you should be prepared for no matter what vehicle you drive. Keep plenty of water in your rig driving in the heat, enough for you and your pets for a few hours. If I didn't think my pet or my passenger could handle the heat even with water they would not go on the trip. Bad things can and do happen.

Reactions: Kaptainkid1