Roof top tents (Not all that good?)

The IDEA of a roof tent seems pretty good to me, but in practice I can see the shortcomings. I've always thought they were a niche product that's being used by a lot of people outside that niche.

Wow. That Comanche is awesome. Pretty cool tent trailer as well. I like the simplicity of the trailer and you can access your storage from inside the tent.

There is just something that seems better/safer about sleeping off the ground.
He has an entire build series for the Comanche on his channel. I believe he also took it on the trail to SEMA videos. His Scorpion crawler is also pretty cool.

Reactions: Just Chillin
Thought about a RTT and decided against it. I've got 3 options that all give me that quick and easy setup and a comfortable sleep so the RTT just isn't that appealing.

1) A hammock, super comfortable, very versatile, and definitely my backpacking sleeping choice.

2) Tent cot (see the pics). Also super comfortable and easy to set up. Needs fairly level ground but otherwise works great. It's a little bit too long for the back of the jeep with the back seats out so it has to go in at an angle. One day I'll figure out a better hauling solution but hasn't been a big enough pain yet.

3) Sleep in the jeep. I'm 5'10" and figured out a way to sleep comfortably in the jeep without a lot of gymnastics. If you're much taller then you're probably SOL. I need to write it up on here one day, just haven't gotten around to it.

DFF461B1-E4D8-4282-A8E4-64097F77AE9F_1_105_c.jpeg

609AC809-9CCE-4002-8410-3AD38B53CF8B_1_105_c.jpeg

I literally pitch a tent on a 5x8 trailer...
I can haul the quad, kayaks, firewood, and all my gear for a weekend - and have a nice elevated platform for the tent. Win Win.
And it's cheap & low maintenance. All the wins!
View attachment 278999

I would like to upgrade to a 5x9 and get a tent that doesn't leak in the rain now that I think about it...
I literally pitch a tent on a 5x8 trailer...
I can haul the quad, kayaks, firewood, and all my gear for a weekend - and have a nice elevated platform for the tent. Win Win.
And it's cheap & low maintenance. All the wins!
View attachment 278999

I would like to upgrade to a 5x9 and get a tent that doesn't leak in the rain now that I think about it...:ROFLMAO:
Ooohhh I like that!

Thought about a RTT and decided against it. I've got 3 options that all give me that quick and easy setup and a comfortable sleep so the RTT just isn't that appealing.

1) A hammock, super comfortable, very versatile, and definitely my backpacking sleeping choice.

2) Tent cot (see the pics). Also super comfortable and easy to set up. Needs fairly level ground but otherwise works great. It's a little bit too long for the back of the jeep with the back seats out so it has to go in at an angle. One day I'll figure out a better hauling solution but hasn't been a big enough pain yet.

3) Sleep in the jeep. I'm 5'10" and figured out a way to sleep comfortably in the jeep without a lot of gymnastics. If you're much taller then you're probably SOL. I need to write it up on here one day, just haven't gotten around to it.

View attachment 290892

View attachment 290893
I want to see this “sleep in the jeep” setup… I’ve tried to figure that one out but no good… of course being 6’1” doesn’t help either. Thought about a sliding platform type deal that could be unfolded twards the front (my seats recline almost completely flat) but was stumped by issues of top height and making the forward fold out part stable

Reactions: brianb2
I want to see this “sleep in the jeep” setup… I’ve tried to figure that one out but no good… of course being 6’1” doesn’t help either. Thought about a sliding platform type deal that could be unfolded twards the front (my seats recline almost completely flat) but was stumped by issues of top height and making the forward fold out part stable
:) Yeah I didn't think it was going to work either. I tried that thing where people string up a hammock inside, about broke my neck trying to get in and out of that. I do something similar to what this guy wrote about. I built a platform that's same height as the tail gate. I need to measure the width, but it butts up against the tub on the passenger side and extends just past the opening between the seats just before the drivers seat. Most people build their platform from tub wall to tub wall but I needed the height to carry a few specific things so mine isn't as wide as most. I put the drivers seat all the way back and leaned back as far as it will go. Passenger seat is slid and leaned forward.

Here's where my approach differs from his. I sleep head in the back corner of the passenger side and my feet end up somewhere between the steering wheel and radio. I use padding for comfort, but I didn't go as far as what he describes. My padding stops at the platform, so at my height that's just below my knees I think, or just above. I'll go check later when I'm home. I think he said to put something in your front seat but I use a kind of hanging foot platform instead. It attaches between the tubing above both doors with a few loops of paracord, and you can adjust it to whatever height you need. It's made of webbing and coroplast (plastic cardboard, same stuff they use for political signs) so it's stiff enough to hold it's shape but flexible enough to bend and conform. When I stretch out my feet end up hanging in the platform, kind of like when you sit in a lazyboy. You get in position from the drivers seat so you can leave your shoes in the floorboard. I use a top quilt for warmth, kind of a variation on a sleeping bag. They're popular with hammocks and just about the perfect thing for this setup. Had this on my phone, looks like this:

2BB9FAA4-33DD-4007-A44E-11499CBAB795.jpeg

Because it hangs it can move as needed and it's easy to move out of the way and to put up and take down. Because it's flat with just some webbing it stores easy so it's a no brainer to bring along. Whole thing sets up pretty quick and is really useful when you arrive at camp and it's pouring outside.

Not sure it will work with your height, I don't have a lot of extra room as it is, but we're only talking a few inches so who knows. Good luck. let me know if that wasn't clear or if you need a pic or two to help with the idea.

:) Yeah I didn't think it was going to work either. I tried that thing where people string up a hammock inside, about broke my neck trying to get in and out of that. I do something similar to what this guy wrote about. I built a platform that's same height as the tail gate. I need to measure the width, but it butts up against the tub on the passenger side and extends just past the opening between the seats just before the drivers seat. Most people build their platform from tub wall to tub wall but I needed the height to carry a few specific things so mine isn't as wide as most. I put the drivers seat all the way back and leaned back as far as it will go. Passenger seat is slid and leaned forward.

Here's where my approach differs from his. I sleep head in the back corner of the passenger side and my feet end up somewhere between the steering wheel and radio. I use padding for comfort, but I didn't go as far as what he describes. My padding stops at the platform, so at my height that's just below my knees I think, or just above. I'll go check later when I'm home. I think he said to put something in your front seat but I use a kind of hanging foot platform instead. It attaches between the tubing above both doors with a few loops of paracord, and you can adjust it to whatever height you need. It's made of webbing and coroplast (plastic cardboard, same stuff they use for political signs) so it's stiff enough to hold it's shape but flexible enough to bend and conform. When I stretch out my feet end up hanging in the platform, kind of like when you sit in a lazyboy. You get in position from the drivers seat so you can leave your shoes in the floorboard. I use a top quilt for warmth, kind of a variation on a sleeping bag. They're popular with hammocks and just about the perfect thing for this setup. Had this on my phone, looks like this:

View attachment 290997

Because it hangs it can move as needed and it's easy to move out of the way and to put up and take down. Because it's flat with just some webbing it stores easy so it's a no brainer to bring along. Whole thing sets up pretty quick and is really useful when you arrive at camp and it's pouring outside.

Not sure it will work with your height, I don't have a lot of extra room as it is, but we're only talking a few inches so who knows. Good luck. let me know if that wasn't clear or if you need a pic or two to help with the idea.
Very interesting, brought a few thoughts for what I’m trying to do also. The cool thing about what I’m trying to do (if I can ever manage to make it work) it would allow both me and my gf to sleep in the jeep.

Very interesting, brought a few thoughts for what I’m trying to do also. The cool thing about what I’m trying to do (if I can ever manage to make it work) it would allow both me and my gf to sleep in the jeep.
I've thought about one person sleeping on a platform like described here, and then another above them in a hammock. I do that when I camp with my son, but he's 6 so he can sleep straight between the tailgate and driver seat in the LJ, with just a pillow filling the footwell.

Reactions: brianb2

Yeah, I couldn't figure out anything that would work for my wife and I without building some kind of extension. Thought about something that would plug into the trailer hitch and you could fit some type of covering over over it. Good luck, looking forward to hearing about your setup.

Yeah, I couldn't figure out anything that would work for my wife and I without building some kind of extension. Thought about something that would plug into the trailer hitch and you could fit some type of covering over over it. Good luck, looking forward to hearing about your setup.
Thanks! If/when I figure something out I’ll be sure to post up about it. My plan just has a handful of hurdles to overcome so I need some time to allow my engineering mind work something out

Iamjake on youtube. Took out the passenger seat. And was able to fit a bent walmart aluminum cot. But hes pretty short. Youd have to be awful small to fit in a jeep. Let alone 2 people. Maybe in an LJ.