Rusted and broken rear shock top mounts

I saw that a while ago (it was posted on this forum). While I can't speak from experience, I really feel like there is a better way to fix your shock mounts than drilling through the frame to mount them like that. Mounting shocks in single shear like that just doesn't seem like the best idea (especially if he didn't sleeve the hole he drilled in the frame).

I was watching some videos from this YouTuber about his son's TJ build and he ran into the same issue but had a different solution that may be a little more involved (involves a Dremel and dropping the gas tank):

I'll also echo what @jodomcfrodo just said in that I would prefer the aforementioned solution over that one. I mean the guy even says in the video, "You COULD use grade 8 bolts..." I would be more surprised if it doesn't shear off after a while or a rough drop.

Nice video explanation except for the carriage bolt which looks an awful lot like a regular bolt complete with hex flats. Of course it’s probable that I’ve been calling a round head bolt with square shoulders the wrong thing for decades...

I did weld in a sleeve when I did this to my jeep. I also used grade 8 bolts and a self locking nut. Rancho makes a solution that replaces the captured nuts but it looks like a lot of work. I think YJs and CJs mount the shocks thru the frame in this manner. If I run into a problem I will post back.

By the way I am looking on Craigslist now for a pre 76 BRONCO. Will someone please talk me out of it. Don't use the angle of the outrageous cost, Spent yesterday looking at new JLs and I could likely buy 2 old BRONCOS for that much money.

Yeah man, totally don't get a '76 Bronco. Nope. Terrible idea. I, Dan of 76, would think a '76 Bronco is horrible. I mean, just look at this travesty. Would you want to be seen riding around in this literal wart?

I mean it's just so gross.

(I mean that front bumper light bar thing is an actual abomination)

Yeah man, totally don't get a '76 Bronco. Nope. Terrible idea. I, Dan of 76, would think a '76 Bronco is horrible. I mean, just look at this travesty. Would you want to be seen riding around in this literal wart?

View attachment 77339

I mean it's just so gross.

View attachment 77340

(I mean that front bumper light bar thing is an actual abomination)
Lol, right!? Do folks actually take those things off road and into the woods? Scary...

Reactions: danof76
I have to say, this doesn't look like the worst idea I have ever seen. I was thinking it would be better to have the hole sleeved too, but does the shock really see that much load, provided that it doesn't get bottomed out? Maybe in the event of a really hard hit, like hitting a pothole some something at speed? I don't know - I don't hate it. I've already cut the nuts off of my upper shock mounts and plan to just drop new bolts down from the top when the new shocks get mounted, but had I seen this video, I would have been tempted to try it.

Reactions: Edward Turner
Yep, sleeved grade 8 and torqued against the sleeve to replicate a stud. The springs carry the weight, the shock mitigates the bounce with far less stress. I just don’t know how much I’d trust this if I was doing any violent off-roading.