Seeking advice: 2.5 built as daily driver

gorankul

If money is not the problem, how would you build 2.5L TJ? What mods / upgrades would you do?

Jeep would be used as a daily drive, not for off-road but it should still be capable reaching the hut in mountains all year round. The mountain road is dirt-road not regularly cleaned during the winter months. Also, summer months are quite hot & humid.

All options are welcome just bear in mind that engine must remain 2.5L.

Here you go...
Block one
H&R springs (Done)
Bilstein 5100 shocks (Done)
KO2 31x10.50R15 tires (Done)

Block two
Full tune up (Done)
Centric front brakes (full kit, stock) (Done)
Centric rear brakes (full kit, stock) (Done)
YJ front brake hoses (Done)
ZJ Moog Front track bar (Done)
JKS quicker disconnects (Done)
JKS front track bar OGS126

Block three
Savvy front bumper
Sherpa Mustang winch

Block four
Revolution 4.88 gears & Master install kit
Alloy Dana 30 & Dana 35 Revolution axles
Eaton elocker front and rear.

Block five
Savvy Control arms

Block six
M.O.R.E. 1" body lift BLTJ97
Brown Dog 1" MML and engine mounts KU2569-1H
Savvy transfer case shifter
Tom Wood XB drive shaft
Advance Adapters SYE

Block seven
Savvy rocker guards
UCF tailgate hinges
UCF deep cover skid plate system, aluminum, UHC
UCF high clearance aluminum gas tank skid

Block eight
32x11.50R15 Cooper STT Pro tires (5)
Quadratech Rubicon extreme 15x8 wheels, 4" backspacing (5)

Last edited:
Why the Sherpa? As to OP, I've always preferred a stick to an auto. Feel like I am more in control, one with the machine. Especially in poor conditions. Unless city driving. Constant 2-3 and back in clogged areas drives me nuts. Good thing I live country. If you are a city guy I would suggest a hard top to deter thieves. Get the frame and all underside clean and rust free and coat with a good rust control product if in the northern part of the country. Dont think you would need a lift kit and that can save a lot of 🤯 and🤑keep in good maintenance and enjoy. TJ's are extremely fun to drive whether on the side of a mountain or in town. Probably the best Jeep they will ever produce. New ones are fine, but too many nannies and sensors for me. Enjoy 🤗

Reactions: skrelnik
31I have the infamous 2.5 that I drive daily. if you are going to try to run 31 or larger tires regear. There are formulas to figure out the proper gear selection with your automatic trans, tire size and how will you primarily use your jeep.

My favorite mod that was pretty easy and free was lowering my fuel tank and cutting the vent tube back to around 1 inch. It allows 19 gallons of fuel to be added.
Here is a link with all the info
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/gas-tank-mod.4815/
MML is nice once you install a lift kit. I took my 1 1/4 transfer case drop out as I didn't like the look of it hanging down. The idea of lifting a jeep but lowering the TC just bothered me. the MML was easy to do and you can get them for less than 100 bucks depending on what you choose.

Headlight Mod of your choice. My friend rewired his stock sealed beam lights by adding in relays and then ran a much larger power wire from the battery to the headlights. He said it really improved. I bought Chinese LEDs, that I am happy with the output but sometimes they flicker a bit. occasionally a high beam will not come on until I flash the lights a few times. I think the worst part is for other drivers as the low beams have a very wide pattern. I get flashed a lot but I drive 25 miles from work at 1030 at night on county roads through Farm land. I meet at the most 3 or 4 on coming cars and that is rarely. The things I have avoided: coyotes, foxes, opossums, skunks, cats, bob cats, dogs, DEER, cows, donkey, owls (flying at windshield height), Lots of road derbies. Crazy rednecks that I am only guessing are on drugs in the middle of the night in the middle of no where with their shirts off. I don't stop, I just keep on going, that is none of my business LOL. So the payoff is worth it to me.

A good AT Tire, My jeep has 31" cooper AT3s and they are good but people run all types. I want to step up to 33" but I want to keep them 10.50 or 9.50 in width.

My jeep came with a 4" lift installed. It looks funny with 31" tires but the tires were brand new. A lot of people are running 2.5 lift and then adding a 1" body lift.

I guess the biggest thing is to read all you can about what you want to change. See what works for others and make your choice. I tell people that ask about buying a jeep that your not only buying a vehicle but it will be a project. until you work out all the kinks or Previous owners mods it isn't necessarily a vehicle you can just drive and not maintain.

hot and humid here in Lower Alabama, A spider shade or Alien shade help but when that sun is really beating down I put the soft top up without windows (safari style). I have soft lower and upper doors. I will put the top up and doors on without back windows and drive with the AC on and I stay very comfortable. The soft doors are another favorite mod as when a isolated storm pops up I can install those quickly. The back of my jeep has no carpet or seat. Just a pelican case.

I have Bartact seat cover in shipping right now as I hope this helps with a sweaty backside. I will have to update you in a week or so on how I like them.

Hope this helps, welcome to the angry squirrel (2.5) club!

Last edited:
Dubai? How about installing air conditioning.

Seriously, you probably can look into a Bikini top to take advantage of all that sunny weather. Since your only going dirt roads, a budget boast lift kit and 30-31” tires and your good to go. Depending on speed limits and traffic you may want to regear your axels if you do put bigger tires on it.

Dubai? How about installing air conditioning.

Seriously, you probably can look into a Bikini top to take advantage of all that sunny weather. Since your only going dirt roads, a budget boast lift kit and 30-31” tires and your good to go. Depending on speed limits and traffic you may want to regear your axels if you do put bigger tires on it.

Actually 2.5L TJ would not be driven in Dubai. It is meant to be retirement car, to be driven in Europe

Reactions: StG58