Setting up for a supercharger, with a P0301 code?

Thunder Mass

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Let me first say that I've put a lot of thought into it, between engine swaps like an LS or 4BT, strokers, and forced inductions. For various reasons, I'm pretty well set on the super, and it'll likely be a Sprintex. I'm down for suggestions, but like I said, pretty well set on it.

Anyway, I just got the P0301 code on Friday. The good news though, is that there's wonderful information on this forum, like this thread:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...the-dreaded-misfire-and-how-i-solved-it.4212/
Which tells me pretty much everything I need to do to fix this issue. But, as I said before, I'm looking to do a supercharger here soon, and I'd like to not only fix this issue, but also set up for it.

I'm almost positive that after 15 years, and 162K miles, I've never replaced my spark plugs. So, I think step one will be replace all of them, simply because I think it's time. I might also do the ignition coil, maybe, but maybe not. But, are there any spark plugs I should be using, specifically if I wanna run forced induction? Or does that not matter?

Next are the fuel injectors. Seems like the recommendation here is to stick with OEM, which is totally fine. But, the Sprintex comes with all new injectors too. So, should I use the ones provided in the kit, or stick with OEM? I'm more concerned about it if the spark plugs don't fix my P0301 issue. I thought about replacing all of the injectors, but I think I'll just do the one, if it comes to that.

If the spark plugs/Coil pack or injectors don't fix the issue, and I have to go deeper, the supercharger will probably have to wait. If I end up needing to remove the head, I've looked into replacing it with an Edelbrock, and a new exhaust header. If it came to that, I'd skip the supercharger for now, and just do the Edelbrock.

I would replace all the plugs since they may be original. Then I would swap injectors 1 and 2 and see if the misfire moves to cylinder #2. I wouldn't mess with the coil rail since you are only misfiring in 1 cylinder of a waste spark system. Next step would be checking the injector signal with a NOID light. Hopefully it's fixed by now because the rest of the troubleshooting is no fun.

That's what I'm thinking, and hoping. The spark plugs are cheap enough, and old enough, to replace them all. I'll swap the injectors if it gets to that, then replace them all if/when I do the supercharger.

But yeah, if it gets further than that, probably not gonna do the supercharger.