Shifter boot seal?

jeep_boss

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
The boot on the top of my shift lever has been toast for several months. I can't navigate the service manual PDF on my phone, but it looks like there is oil or (more likely) transmission fluid coming out of the top. Is that suppose to be sealed and am I up shits creek?

It's pretty exposed to the elements :\

4EEAFBDE-783C-4635-B1EF-8B6D012AA166.jpeg

There should not be fluid coming out of there obviously. Possibly over filled trans and/or plugged vent hose. When I pulled my 6 spd out I removed the shift tower and there was no seal, sealant, etc and there was no leaking. The area around the shifter is so tight it would be hard to get fluid up there.

Reactions: jeep_boss
There should not be fluid coming out of there obviously. Possibly over filled trans and/or plugged vent hose. When I pulled my 6 spd out I removed the shift tower and there was no seal, sealant, etc and there was no leaking. The area around the shifter is so tight it would be hard to get fluid up there.

It looks like I have mistaken the red color for ATF when it's actually just more of that god forsaken red clay that has been clinging to this Jeep since day #1. Never ceases to amaze me how that crap has managed to stick! I've probably spent 40 hours getting rid of it so far, oh well - I guess it could have been worse in this case! Thanks

Reactions: Rob5589
While you are in there go ahead and remove the breather cap and install a breather hose instead. The 6 Speed NSG370 does not have a breather hose which is a bad design from Jeep IMHO when everything else has a hose. My trans has drank more water than a drunk drinks beer LOL until I found the damn cap LOL. Is is located in the front driver side corner.

P2170117_a.jpg

Reactions: jeep_boss
While you are in there go ahead and remove the breather cap and install a breather hose instead. The 6 Speed NSG370 does not have a breather hose which is a bad design from Jeep IMHO when everything else has a hose. My trans has drank more water than a drunk drinks beer LOL until I found the damn cap LOL. Is is located in the front driver side corner.

View attachment 31211

Strangely, someone had tapped my transmission already and installed one.

Reactions: JeepNWilly