Should I build a 27 spline Dana 35?

James9100

TJ Enthusiast
Hey TJ owners, first post here!
This has probably been brought up before but would like to hear some advice first-hand. Unfortunately I’m stuck with the 3.07 Dana 30/Dana 35 combo, running 33s (5spd tranny). So rather than just regearing I’d like to toughen up the rear while I’m at it. Best and most affordable option would be swapping in some Rubi Dana 44’s since they already have the 4.10 gears I want. Unfortunately those are nearly impossible to find in my neck of the woods. Next option would be wait around for a non-Rubi Dana 44 and regear it, can be found but might be waiting awhile. So last option and my real question… has anyone built a 27 spline Dana 35?
My plan would be regear, Detroit TrueTrac LSD, Yukon 1541H shafts.
Anyone done that set up before with 33s? Not interested in doing an 8.8 swap or Super 35 btw, don’t want/need a locker (harsh winters, hence my liking for a TrueTrac), and out of the budget.
This is gonna be a 70/30 DD/offroad rig (DD, weekend wheeler kinda deal), no crawling around here so wheeling will be some backroad mud puddles, forest trail kinda stuff, and snow. Also I’m assuming a Dana 35 with just a TT, and 1541H shafts, even if there’s no locker, would be a little risky running 35s if I ever wanted to go that route right? Thanks so much guys!

Last edited:
Your plan to build the 27 spline for 33's sounds solid and should hold up fine for moderate wheeling. Just don't get too carried away with the skinny pedal. I've never personally seen a 1541H shaft break but I'm sure it's possible to break anything given the right conditions.

Yes, I'd steer clear of the 35's if you go with the 27 spline build. Just my 2 cents...

• USA Proud
Reactions: CharlesHS
Since you are not rock crawling or installing a locker; the Dana 35 with 33's and 4.10/4.56 would be fine with the alloy shafts...
With the amount of SNOW you receive in Canada; the TT would be a better choice than a locker as a traction device.

Reactions: SvtLdr
A tummy tuck is an EXPENSIVE endeavor to do properly. And, although it's a valuable asset in a lot of instances, it won't help the OP if he's dragging his axles thru the snow.:(

Edit: Wow. Totally missed your TT meaning true-track instead of tummy tuck. My apologies. Carry on.

Last edited:
Since you are not rock crawling or installing a locker; the Dana 35 with 33's and 4.10/4.56 would be fine with the alloy shafts...
With the amount of SNOW you receive in Canada; the TT would be a better choice than a locker as a traction device.
Yup that’s what I figure. Way I see it the ideal for me would be a TT in the rear for the constant traction aid, then a selectable up front for the times I get stuck. But we’ll see if that makes it in the budget haha. And yeah I know most people (as in basically everyone) recommends 4.56 with 5spd and 33s, but I’m in the flat lands so I think 4.10 would be well suited for me with the slightly better fuel mileage, and I also don’t need really low gearing since I don’t crawl. Definitely need lower than what I’ve got though. 3.07 sucks to say the least.
Can’t believe how many replies I’m getting so fast!

IF you could adjust your budget slightly and since you will need to change the carriers and R/P; you might consider installing TT's front and rear instead of the expense of the selectable front locker.

IF you could adjust your budget slightly and since you will need to change the carriers and R/P; you might consider installing TT's front and rear instead of the expense of the selectable front locker.
Yup that’s for sure a thought I’ve had. I’ve come across several guys on this forum running f/r TT’s and seem to like it for a rig not requiring lockers. Thanks for all the answers everyone!

I have a ‘99 Sahara which I purchased new. Dana 30/35, 4.0, 5spd. Installed TruTracs F/R a couple yr ago with alloy axle shafts, regeared to 4.56, and running ‘33’s. Also added 1” MML, 1.25” BL, UCF alum T/C and engine skids, JKS front CA arm skids, Savy alum GT skid, ShrockWorks rocker skids, SYE, DC F/R drive shafts, Currie adjust CAs all around. Road manners are great, TT’s are capable and perfect for wheeling I do, normally deer lease and intermediate trails. Did attend the Moab TJ Fest a month ago and was well pleased - no issues on F&T’s, Top of the World, Hell’s Revenge (incl Hell’s Gate), Metal Masher. Skid plates and good bumpers prevented any damage. Back to TT’s, drawback as others have noted in other threads is if you wheel trails/rocks with wheels in the air, you won’t have the traction of lockers. But also noted by others, 27 spline Dana 30/35 with alloy shafts and limited to 33’s is a solid setup. Good luck!

I have a ‘99 Sahara which I purchased new. Dana 30/35, 4.0, 5spd. Installed TruTracs F/R a couple yr ago with alloy axle shafts, regeared to 4.56, and running ‘33’s. Also added 1” MML, 1.25” BL, UCF alum T/C and engine skids, JKS front CA arm skids, Savy alum GT skid, ShrockWorks rocker skids, SYE, DC F/R drive shafts, Currie adjust CAs all around. Road manners are great, TT’s are capable and perfect for wheeling I do, normally deer lease and intermediate trails. Did attend the Moab TJ Fest a month ago and was well pleased - no issues on F&T’s, Top of the World, Hell’s Revenge (incl Hell’s Gate), Metal Masher. Skid plates and good bumpers prevented any damage. Back to TT’s, drawback as others have noted in other threads is if you wheel trails/rocks with wheels in the air, you won’t have the traction of lockers. But also noted by others, 27 spline Dana 30/35 with alloy shafts and limited to 33’s is a solid setup. Good luck!
Good stuff man! Great to hear a set up like that is working for you, even in the tougher rock trails. I don’t do or even have crawling round here anyways so I’m thinking it’ll work well for me. Thanks!