Should I buy my buddy's 2015 JKUR?

jazngab

Done but not quite finished
Supporting Member
I’m flirting with the idea of buying a friend’s 2015 JKUR recon edition. Don’t worry. I’m not selling my TJ. It’s a manual with 79k miles. He’s owned it for the last 3 years and only put 9k miles since owning (their third vehicle). Never been off road. Still 100% stock. Newish tires. Steel factory bumpers. Doesn’t need any work as far as I know. ( There were some misfire issues that they had a shop repair). He’s asking $27k. I think I’d be willing to do $23-24k and Id encourage him to sell it for $27k if he can get a buyer on fb marketplace. (But we all know what a joy it is to sell a vehicle on FB.) I’d likely buy it cash.

I don’t need another vehicle but it could be a good deal to drive around in for a bit then maybe sell it down the line. Not sure. My wife and I already have daily drivers and of course I have the TJ still.

Not sure. Just kicking around thoughts and ideas. I’m not a huge JK fan but it’s a Jeep. Might be a PITA just owning another vehicle and having to maintain it. But I’m a sucker for great deals. At the same time don’t want to be implulsive. Love to hear some opinions.

Sounds like a good deal, but I'm having trouble finding info on a recon edition in 2015. The earliest review I found was for a 2017 introduction, where the recon replaces the hard rock.

How is the underside, you are in PA.

Personally, I'd pass. As a huge fan of American vehicles, I don't know that I'll buy another besides pickup trucks.

Reactions: jazngab and Daryl
Sounds like a good deal, but I'm having trouble finding info on a recon edition in 2015. The earliest review I found was for a 2017 introduction, where the recon replaces the hard rock.

Sorry I misspoke. It is a hard rock package.

If it had an automatic maybe, manual, no way.

Yea that was a big hangup for me as well. If it was auto I could make it my daily.

How is the underside, you are in PA.

Personally, I'd pass. As a huge fan of American vehicles, I don't know that I'll buy another besides pickup trucks.

Underside is fine. I actually gave my input when he bought it back in 2020.

Reactions: Shank
I have a tJ and a jk But, because this is my favorite forum I will not comment. :devilish:

How well was it maintained? My 2016 JKUR was nothing but a maintenance nightmare for the short time I’ve owned it.

While they solved most of the engine issues by 2015, the JK’s cooling system remained a big POS.

Reactions: RangerTJ
Have a 2017 two door Sahara, 6 sp and like it, but better to have auto. Wish I had an auto in it. 6 sp jumps out of gear and they are an issue, need someone to make a bell housing to mate the AX15 to the newer JK's. Will see how it goes.

Reactions: jazngab
How well was it maintained? My 2016 JKUR was nothing but a maintenance nightmare for the short time I’ve owned it.

While they solved most of the engine issues by 2015, the JK’s cooling system remained a big POS.

This ^.

My 2017 JK had cooling system issues.

Check the overflow tank for sludge in the bottom.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Well since I was only on the fence and so far no real positive feedback towards buying it, looks like it’s an easy pass

Reactions: Daryl
Can’t say to buy or not. But I bought a used JKUR Hard Rock, 6sp manual with 15K miles on it. Has been my DD for the last couple of years, currently has around 36K. I haven’t had any issues with it. Runs like a charm. Once in a while it’s awkward getting into reverse, sometimes have to put in first then reverse. I’ve heard reverse doesn’t have a synchro and that’s why. The other thing I’ve noticed is sometimes when off roading it needs 4L to have enough low end torque depending on grade and altitude. But overall it has been a great Jeep. Depending on the type of 4wheeling you do I believe the 6speed has a better crawl ratio than the automatic which could be handy. Plus it should have 4.10’s in it.

Of course in 2016 they added VVL ( variable valve lift ) . Honda = VTEC = strong and successful . Fiat Chrysler = Variable Valve lift = trashed valvetrains and reliability issues. :rolleyes:

Well now he said he would sell it to me for $21k. I’m almost inclined to buy it and drive it for awhile then sell it for what I paid at the least

Personally, even if it's a good deal, I wouldn't spend $20k+ on an extra vehicle that I wasn't fully committed to. It might be different if your were looking to turn a profit on a good deal, but it sounds like you wouldn't be interested in making a profit off a deal from a friend (understandable). But obviously it's your funds!

Got any pictures?

I’m flirting with the idea of buying a friend’s 2015 JKUR recon edition. Don’t worry. I’m not selling my TJ. It’s a manual with 79k miles. He’s owned it for the last 3 years and only put 9k miles since owning (their third vehicle). Never been off road. Still 100% stock. Newish tires. Steel factory bumpers. Doesn’t need any work as far as I know. ( There were some misfire issues that they had a shop repair). He’s asking $27k. I think I’d be willing to do $23-24k and Id encourage him to sell it for $27k if he can get a buyer on fb marketplace. (But we all know what a joy it is to sell a vehicle on FB.) I’d likely buy it cash.

I don’t need another vehicle but it could be a good deal to drive around in for a bit then maybe sell it down the line. Not sure. My wife and I already have daily drivers and of course I have the TJ still.

Not sure. Just kicking around thoughts and ideas. I’m not a huge JK fan but it’s a Jeep. Might be a PITA just owning another vehicle and having to maintain it. But I’m a sucker for great deals. At the same time don’t want to be implulsive. Love to hear some opinions.

I think you should jump all over it, buy it and drive it and have a blast with it!!!!!! 😲

Isn't that what we are supposed to do here??? Help other members spend more money.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: ColoJeep and TJ Jim
I think you should jump all over it, buy it and drive it and have a blast with it!!!!!! 😲

Isn't that what we are supposed to do here??? Help other members spend more money.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Haaaa trust me. This forum has definitely helped me spend more than enough money on the TJ (I’m looking at you tummy tuck that I didn’t need)

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper