Should the rear axles have lower coil spring isolators?

sierradmax

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I've traced an annoying squeek to what appears to be metal to metal contact between the rear coil spring and the axle. According to my FSM, there's an upper and a lower isolator sharing the same part number. 52087832

Reactions: GDean
I dont think I've ever seen a rear lower but maybe every tj I have worked on had it missing....rear upper yes

I dont think I've ever seen a rear lower but maybe every tj I have worked on had it missing....rear upper yes
The factory stopped installing the hard plastic lower isolator around 03 or so. The perches still have the holes they snap into though.

Not really. That and the folks in the rust belt really appreciate that they are not there.
Can attest to this even being from the south! When I pulled the springs in the rear of mine I lifted the isolator and it was caked full of dirt/mud and starting to show signs of surface rust. I threw those isolators in the trash right away!

If the perch and coil are clean I wouldn't consider them a common source of noise. The coils bend pretty easily and normally remain flush with the perch at the bottom.

If the perch and coil are clean I wouldn't consider them a common source of noise. The coils bend pretty easily and normally remain flush with the perch at the bottom.
I crawled under my rig with a mechanics stethoscope while someone rocked my Jeep from side to side. It was clearly audible at the bottom perch.

I crawled under my rig with a mechanics stethoscope while someone rocked my Jeep from side to side. It was clearly audible at the bottom perch.
I know on newer jeeps and other cars they have plastic isolators on the actual springs. Maybe this would be a route to pursue? what about some rubber hose slipped over the spring?

Reactions: Vasq
Because the spring is always in solid contact with the perch and they are both metal it can transmit road noise to the Jeep. That is what it the pad is designed to prevent. If it solves your squeak then that is great, they aren't expensive or difficult to make.