SKIM Issue - No Start With Solid SKIM Light

flyinfish

Woke Is A Joke!
Supporting Member
2004 TJR
I have a solid SKIM light error on instrument cluster with no start condition. After attempting to start, the SKIM light goes out until the key is cycled again. I've never had an issue with the SKIM previously.
I've went through the diagnostic troubleshooting by testing fuse 1 and power to the fuse. Same goes for fuse 12 with exception of ignition being on. Disconnected battery and had good ground at SKIM connector. Connected battery and checked power at the SKIM harness and power in run position. All testing according to 8Q-3 in Service Manual were good.
I get no module errors when I press the trip button, turn key and let off trip button. I ran my OTC scan tool and have no codes.

Any suggestions on next steps or anything I've missed?

Last edited:
Update:
After some testing and having the battery and SKIM module disconnected a few times, I got it to react to a key turn but only like a starter bendix drive issue. I got the heavy click a few times like the and then it started. I ran it for a few minutes and then shut it off. Upon trying to start again I experienced the same click for a few times and then starting.

Could someone answer if the SKIM light should be solid on with key in run position before starting.

Last edited:
Update:
After some testing and having the battery and SKIM module disconnected a few times, I got it to react to a key turn but only like a starter bendix drive issue. I got the heavy click a few times like the and then it started. I ran it for a few minutes and then shut it off. Upon trying to start again I experienced the same click for a few times and then starting.

Could someone answer if the SKIM light should be solid on with key in run position before starting.

Mine goes out in about a second. Does not stay on.

Reactions: flyinfish
Mine will go out within a second if I try starting it, but the SKIM light will stay on indefinitely if I only turn key to run position.

Mine will go out within a second if I try starting it, but the SKIM light will stay on indefinitely if I only turn key to run position.

I only turned mine to run didn’t turn to start. It definitely went out in about a second. Maybe it goes out when it recognizes SKIM? I have never needed to troubleshoot mine so you are way ahead of me on that.

Reactions: flyinfish