Sloppy steering

BrunoPizz97

TJ Enthusiast
so I’ll make this short and sweet
Everytime I hit a pothole it feels like something is loose on the driver side of the front axel. Something is not right it feels sloppy and sounds like something is coming undone. Along with that my alignment is sloppy and feels like there a lot of play in my steering. When I’m at 65 I feel a slight wobble in the front end and gets worse as I accelerate not too bad but it’s getting annoying.
I took a look underneath and found that my track bar was a bit loose and was making some noises when turning the wheel so I tightened it up.
Few days later I went back underneath and it’s loose again I took it apart from the axel side and found this. Now I know that it’s not suppose to be like that but would it really effect my steering that much?

4055A98C-C806-4CA7-B2E8-D00290A31B1C.jpeg

F7A2017F-CC17-433F-A588-E644552C2C7B.jpeg

Did the non oem TB require you to drill out the holes larger? If not adding one that does would get the holes rounded out again. While your poking around I would check torque on all control arms and do a dry steering test.

Did the non oem TB require you to drill out the holes larger? If not adding one that does would get the holes rounded out again. While your poking around I would check torque on all control arms and do a dry steering test.
I didn't change the TB setup on my jeep. when I got it, it came with a jks TB, I recently just changed my front a rear diffs to have bigger gearing ratio 4:10s with an Aussie locker in my Dana 30. prior to me doing this I never had a problem with the front end, just a slight misalignment and that is pretty much it. Then my rear blew and thats when I swapped my axels and as I began driving it more often I began noticing the wobble in the front more and more.

Looks like you might have enough meat there to drill out the TB and mount holes to the next bigger size bolt, then torque to proper spec.

Looks like you might have enough meat there to drill out the TB and mount holes to the next bigger size bolt, then torque to proper spec.
I am not sure what bolt size the jks tb setup is and not sure what size my axel is but what would the next size up be from stock if i were to drill it bigger. and would this fix my slight wobble?

I believe the axle side bolt is 10mmx1.25 pitch. Before you go thru all that trouble I'd suggest just replacing the bolt with another fresh 10mm bolt and torque to 40 ft.lbs. The next size bigger could be 1/2" if you want to go bigger.

The only thing that holds the trackbar in place is torque. As long as its correct the track bar wont move.

Do a dry steer test--with the engine off, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect everything up front (trackbar, TREs, steering shaft, axle bushings, etc..).

alignment01.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
The only thing that holds the trackbar in place is torque. As long as its correct the track bar wont move.

Do a dry steer test--with the engine off, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect everything up front (trackbar, TREs, steering shaft, axle bushings, etc..).

View attachment 104743
hey so I had checked the TB and it was loose while dry steer I tightened it with an impact and its still Loose should I just put a 1/2" bolt through it.
and it further describe what it sounds like when i hit a pothole
- it sounds like a ball joint going bad but i have checked them already and they're in good condition

How about the axle bushings and/or control arms? Tie Rod Ends? Steering box? They should all be checked during the dry steer test.

Well that certainly isnt helping.

I'd replace your bushing. Like mentioned earlier, torque specs are what hold the track bar. Bolt and hole size don't matter as long as it has the strength for torque and clamping force.
Ill give it a good torque down again and ill let you know if I notice any changes

Well that certainly isnt helping.

I'd replace your bushing. Like mentioned earlier, torque specs are what hold the track bar. Bolt and hole size don't matter as long as it has the strength for torque and clamping force.
so I torqued down the bolt and no change its tight and on there pretty good, I am thinking of getting the currie Johnny joint 5/8" and drilling the hole bigger to make it round again. what is your input on this?

Id replace the bushing. Also, are you using the correct hardware? Split ring washer and flag nut? Do not go crazy on the over tightening, you will end up snapping the bolt, or buggering the threads which is highly possible giving the amount of tightening you are doing. Axle side torque specs are only 55 ft/lbs IIRC

Id replace the bushing. Also, are you using the correct hardware? Split ring washer and flag nut? Do not go crazy on the over tightening, you will end up snapping the bolt, or buggering the threads which is highly possible giving the amount of tightening you are doing. Axle side torque specs are only 55 ft/lbs IIRC
Flag nut yes but no split ring washer, do you honestly believe with out it, it would have that much play?

Flag nut yes but no split ring washer, do you honestly believe with out it, it would have that much play?

I do.

Get a whole new bolt, split ring, and flag nut (grade 8, Ace Hardware, Fastenall, etc..). I think you have damaged threads which is why its coming loose so easily. While its all apart I would replace the bushing too. Remember to torque 55-60 ft/lbs and see if it still comes loose. Im willing to bet it would solve your issues.

an extreme pot hole was what made me get the JKS track bar.

when I installed the my track bar it came with a larger than stock bolt and did require me to drill a larger hole.
the bolt that went in looks like a 1/2” x 2-1/2” grade 8 bolt from the install instructions. I had the osg128

instructions

Last edited: