Small leak from lower radiator hose

Derekstockton

Recently did a complete coolant flush on my 2000 tj with 2.5l, all went great( replaced green stuff with g05). However I notice a small leak now from the lower radiator hose where it connects to radiator. The original pressure style factory clamps are in place (not worm clamps) I have inspected it and the clamp/ hose looks in good condition. The leak appears to be edging out the end of the hose somehow. Question is there a certain position(6 o'clock , etc) to place the clamp to stop the leak or may I need to just replace with new hose and clamp ? Also if I drive it through some heat cycles will that cause it go "seat" and leak will stop ?

I'd prefer to not have to drain all of my new coolant to get a new hose/clamp on but if that is what is needed to fix leak it is what it is I guess.

Thank!

Also does anyone know where to buy the factory style clamps if I'm to replace, I found in another thread that gates 22280 is the hose but can't seem to find exact clamps

To tell if it is the clamp compressing tight enough, you may be able get a worm style clamp, slide the factory clamp back just a little and install the worm style clamp also to see if that eliminates the leak (by opening the clamp up and wrapping around the hose and reconnecting the clamp band into gear). If so, you can take the old clamp off later whenever the coolant was drained again if you wanted to.

Recently did a complete coolant flush on my 2000 tj with 2.5l, all went great( replaced green stuff with g05). However I notice a small leak now from the lower radiator hose where it connects to radiator. The original pressure style factory clamps are in place (not worm clamps) I have inspected it and the clamp/ hose looks in good condition. The leak appears to be edging out the end of the hose somehow. Question is there a certain position(6 o'clock , etc) to place the clamp to stop the leak or may I need to just replace with new hose and clamp ? Also if I drive it through some heat cycles will that cause it go "seat" and leak will stop ?

I'd prefer to not have to drain all of my new coolant to get a new hose/clamp on but if that is what is needed to fix leak it is what it is I guess.

Thank!
I use regular adjustable hose clamps on mine.

I wouldn't use screw clamps, they'll be leaking in short order. The hose might look great but an old hose can do this. A new spring clamp can also help. There's a thread around here somewhere with the Mopar clamp part numbers. I just recently replaced mine with a few from Rockauto, they were inexpensive. If it was mine I'd replace the hose and the clamp. It's not the end of the world draining and filling the radiator. I'll see if I can dig up what I used for the radiator side clamp.

Edit: I think I used 4592176 for the thermostat housing which is the same deal

Last edited:
I had a jeep with a similar pesky leak and what finally stopped it was 2 non oem worm gear clamps side by side. I am a believer in the oem constant tension clamps however and would try a fresh one of those first. I am also assuming you have the hose pushed onto the bib fully? And also make sure coolant isn't running down the hose and making it look like it's coming from below

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
When I did mine last year I used worm clamps, my old ones were shot and I was impatient. I had a drop for a bit, but after some cycles and driving it seemed to seal up. I did recently have to tighten the upper hose back up. Next time I will order the other clamps, but for now they are working.