*SOLD*Chewie's 04 Wrangler X

MoiTai

TJ Nerd
Supporting Member
I purchased my TJ 2 years ago. It is a 2004 Wrangler X 4.0 5 speed.

Quick note I am mostly on mobile so apologies for an typos I might have.

It had just been sitting in a drive way for 3 years as the couple was no longer mobile. I immediately changed all the fluids which where pretty nasty and tune up.
20180323_124530.jpg

Shocks and springs were shot. At this point I slapped a 3 inch suspension kit from Rough Country until I knew the route I wanted to go. My co-worker had just purchased new wheels for his JK Rubicon. He offered them to me for a steal and I could not pass it up. The wheels grew on me so much at this point I dont have any plans to replace them.
20180615_071844.jpg

Around October of 2018 I ended up tackling my RMS that had been leaking. I also needed to replace my upper and lower control arms as the rubber was rotting away. I decided to give RC a shot at their control arms so I ordered and installed upper and lower adjustables. These actually felt well built and hefty and to this day they have been great.

Early 2019 I purchased my Mopar Rock Crawler bumper. Got a great deal from a local Jeeper who flat tows his LJ and didn't want to deal with removing the rubber stops every time. Also Teraflex track bar.
IMG_20190718_190115.jpg

Late April my water pump went out. I rebuilt the cooling system including a new radiator with all Mopar OEM.

Last edited:
This past December on my way home I started to hear a racket down somewhere in my drive line. It had already started to feel strange. After inspecting I found my u-joints where completely shot. There was so much play I felt embarrassed not noticing earlier.

This is when I decided to park it and address some repairs and upgrades. I wanted to get rid of the ugly transfer case drop and go SYE. I went with a Teraflex kit and drive shaft. G2 rebuilt kit for the transfer case and a new chain.

I started with the transfer case. This was a fun and great learning experience. Definitely not as intimidating as it seems. I'm using basic tools. Also invested in a seal/bearing driver and pilot bearing puller.
IMG_20191219_023254.jpg
IMG_20191229_220034.jpg
IMG_20191231_223915.jpg

Just last night I got around to assembling everything back together with the new seals, bearings and SYE kit.
IMG_20200104_190842.jpg

Man was that a great sight to see. Next I'm going to swap out the tranny output seal since it's right there so why not haha.

Reactions: tworley
Had some time to get to the tranny output seal today.
IMG_20200111_140718.jpg

IMG_20200111_140954.jpg

Used a screw to push it out. Carefully drilled a small hole first as the seal is metal. Just have to drill near the edge so the screw pushes out against the lip and not the black bearing. That would not be good.

Hoping to have some time tomorrow to get the Tcase back on. Also just realized I will need new bolts to hold up the skid. Long lost the original ones and the current ones are too long due to the Tcase drop.

Haven't had time to work on the TJ lately due to other home projects. Finally got the tcase and driveshaft installed. Quick test drive and everything is smooth. Able to shift gears much easier now with that ugly tcase drop kit out of there. Onto the engine to tackle the taping.

IMG_20200217_215217.jpg

IMG_20200228_222015.jpg

IMG_20200302_121357.jpg