Sound Bar Speaker Cutout Diameter?

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
I have read this thread, but am wondering if anyone knows the exact diameter of the stock overhear soundbar speaker cutouts on a 97–02 TJ? That's the older style sound bar, not the newer one with plastic pods.

I am away from my TJ right now and want to place an order for 6.5” speakers, but want to be sure they fit.

Or, tell me about any speakers that you know, from experience, do or don’t drop in? Then I’ll just pull up their specs?

Last edited:
I found kicker 6 3/4 inch speakers that did not fit in the lip recess so the lip is mounted on the surface.

IMG_5444.jpeg

6.5" speakers fit into the stock sound bar without cutting the holes any bigger.

Thanks Jerry, but I'm finding a pretty wide range of cutout diameters on the 6.5" speakers. I recently tried some 6.75" speakers with a cutout diameter of 5+5/8", which didn't fit in the factory holes. I'm seeing 6.5" speakers with cutout diameters that range from 4+7/8" to 5.5". My current 5.25" speakers have a cutout of 4+11/16". I'm just not able to go measure that hole right now.

I found kicker 6 3/4 inch speakers that did not fit in the lip recess so the lip is mounted on the surface.

View attachment 283347

Thanks. I have the older sound bar with a single metal frame, no plastic 'pods'. Just wondering if anyone knows the exact cutout diameter of those factory holes, or can share any speaker part numbers that do or don't fit, for reference.

All I know is my 6.5" Polk speakers installed directly into my '97 TJ's factory soundbar and needed zero changes or modifications. Others have said the same thing many times about theirs over the years.

Reactions: D M
All I know is my 6.5" Polk speakers installed directly into my '97 TJ's factory soundbar and needed zero changes or modifications. Others have said the same thing many times about theirs over the years.

Got it. Yes, I'm seeing that Polks have small cutout diameters compared to the Rockford Fosgates I was looking at. I know those Polks are popular on the forum, so I bet that's the one that has been easy to drop in.

Well, I will probably wait till I get back to the TJ and measure the holes. If they're too small for these Rockford Fosgates, I'll just have to pick between cutting or going with Polks instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Just closing this loop: I found some used Polks for cheap on my local marketplace, and dropped those in no problem.