Sound Issue

Kevin E

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I started having a sound coming from somewhere and it's really getting annoying. Started looking around and it seems to be coming from the compressor. Are the bearings shot? Is this coming from something else? I don't use the A/C cause it quit working last Fall.Sound like a pump? Water pump is a few months old all fluids are at the proper levels. Help is needed to verify and eliminate this DAMN noise! Thanks, Kinda sounds like a Wookie;)

A mechanics stethascop is very useful when trying to track down a rotational noise like that. Could be a clutch or idler pulley bearing. They are like 4 dollars at Harbor Freight. Otherwise a long thin screwdriver held to the ear will help. Just watch for the fan blades. To confirm if it's the compressor clutch you could try engaging the compressor by jumping out the low pressure switch. The clutch bearing does not rotate when the compressor is on.

Thanks. FYI there is no change if clutch is in or out or if tranny is in Neutral or I'm driving. Sound is constant and only changes with rpm level. Don't know if that means anything just thought more info would be helpful

Thanks. FYI there is no change if clutch is in or out or if tranny is in Neutral or I'm driving. Sound is constant and only changes with rpm level. Don't know if that means anything just thought more info would be helpful

I was actually referring to the AC clutch

Disconnect your serpentine belt. Noise still there? If not then it is something in the belt system. If you don't run that AC compressor periodically it will fail because the seals will dry out. Even in the winter, run it a couple of minutes to circulate fluids. I learned this 1,500 lesson on my motorhome.

To confirm if it's the compressor clutch you could try engaging the compressor by jumping out the low pressure switch. The clutch bearing does not rotate when the compressor is on.
I found the issue and it is compressor clutch bearings. There was a wire off the low pressure switch so hooked that back on and when the clutch engaged the noise went away. So can I only replace the clutch bearings without a whole new compressor? If I don't want to use the a/c at all can I get a shorter serpentine belt and just bypass the compressor all together?
Thanks for the help.

I found the issue and it is compressor clutch bearings. There was a wire off the low pressure switch so hooked that back on and when the clutch engaged the noise went away. So can I only replace the clutch bearings without a whole new compressor? If I don't want to use the a/c at all can I get a shorter serpentine belt and just bypass the compressor all together?
Thanks for the help.
Yes the clutch bearing can be replaced without replacing the entire clutch. I found a vender on ebay and gave him my info and he matched me up correctly but that was a few years ago. Not a difficult task. If you get the make and model number off your compressor and hit NAPA or similar parts store they should be able to help you. Likely going to be hit or miss at Advance or Autozone.