Spanish Mauser carbine

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Traded into a Spanish Mauser carbine in 308 (arsenal conversion) with a guy at work. Cute little thing. It's a 1893 pattern, model 1913 or 1916. Most probably an M1913. Very simple design. Cock on close, no safety lug, etc, etc. The wood is good for being over 100 years old. It has feeding issues, but that's fixable. It looks like someone tried fixing it with a ball peen hammer and a chunk of railroad iron. No bueno. It also looks like it hasn't been cleaned since it was first issued to the Guardia Civil in the 1920's. Fun winter project and a great addition to the Mauser collection. It'll give me something to burn up my ammo can full of cast bullet 308 ammo.

20191007_115126.jpg

I have a K98 that my dad was given for helping a woman clean out her house, i believe her husband brought it back from WW II, the butt part of the stock was cut to fit it in his bag but all the numbers match. It’s fun to shoot, even bagged a deer with it years ago.

Reactions: Tranz Zam and StG58
A numbers matching K98k is very cool! Mauser actions are wonderful for a sporting rifle. I've got a passle of them in the safe, and many more have passed through my hands. Until you've spent some time with a Mauser Werks or Ludwig Loewe & Sohns action you never realize just how good they are.

I used to own that type of rifle. Apparently when the spanish joined NATO they needed an interim rifle. They apparently concerted some accurized old mausers to 308 ( no problem for that action) and made them shorter. It had a bit of a kick for a 308 but its overall size and the potency of the cartridge made it useful in the bush. Great rifle congrats.

Reactions: StG58
A numbers matching K98k is very cool! Mauser actions are wonderful for a sporting rifle. I've got a passle of them in the safe, and many more have passed through my hands. Until you've spent some time with a Mauser Werks or Ludwig Loewe & Sohns action you never realize just how good they are.

I have a numbers matching one with the German markings. It was given to my grandfather brand new. The Germans were amazing with manufacturing. Even the small screws have the last 2 digits of the serial number stamped in the head.

Reactions: Tranz Zam and StG58
If you can, try out a Swiss K31. The straight pull action just glides like butter, and the machining is second to none.
Not to mention surplus GP11 is considered match grade.

Reactions: TJ Starting