Squeak from transfer case at rear drive shaft (video)

Jpitty

Hey all, I was hoping someone could help me out here, my 02 tj automatic has been squeaking at low speeds , the squeak seems to go away when braking , so far ive removed front driveshaft , squeak is still there, so I jacked up back, and removed rear driveshaft at diff and rotated it and the sound is coming from the transfer case?

Any idea what this could be ? Attached is a video,

Thanks

Is that metal dust shield on the transfercase output rubbing the case?

That notch in it isn't something I've seen before.

Much play in the output shaft?

Is that metal dust shield on the transfercase output rubbing the case?

That notch in it isn't something I've seen before.

Much play in the output shaft?

Thanks for the reply, I just checked that , the dust cover was maybe touching a bit, i sprayed some lube in there to see if it got quieter but didnt change, the shaft feels tight , not much play at all, it sort of sounds like it might be coming from a little further in perhaps??

Remove the front driveshaft first is what I would do-

Noises can telegraph and resonate

Front shaft failures are a known, and near catastrophic for TJs. They take out the transfer case.

Reactions: Rickyd
Remove the front driveshaft first is what I would do-

Noises can telegraph and resonate

Front shaft failures are a known, and near catastrophic for TJs. They take out the transfer case.

He did that already andy.

Jpitty I'd probably pry that metal collar out a bit so it doesn't rub at all and check again. Hopefully you don't need to get into the transfercase.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyG
I'd rule out

Jpitty I'd probably pry that metal collar out a bit so it doesn't rub at all and check again. Hopefully you don't need to get into the transfercase.

Thanks, I missed it.

I'd rule out

Ok i will try prying out that collar a bit, starting to worry its inside bearing or something ..

Idk how handy you are but the rebuild kits aren't too expensive and the tcases are relatively easy to work on.