Steering and steering wheels

Passerat

Hi everybody, when i put the jeep on jack stand and turn the "wheels by hands" , it seems that the steering wheel doesn't move ( is it possible ? how ??) with engine not running.

The steering column locks when the ignition is turned off. Theft deterrent? Put the key in and switch it to ON. No need to start the engine. This will unlock the column and allow you to turn the steering by hand.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
haha yes steering sorry !

Yes, the column was unlocked , when i turn the steering wheel wheels turn. But when i turn wheels by hand going under the jeep it seems steering wheel stay in place.

haha yes steering sorry !

Yes, the column was unlocked , when i turn the steering wheel wheels turn. But when i turn wheels by hand going under the jeep it seems steering wheel stay in place.
Because the engine is off and the power steering isn't working. It's not as responsive.

On my TJs the steering doesn't lock when off. I have no problem turning the tires with vehicle totally off even if not on jack stands.

ok but why it works in one way but not the other one ?
How are you turning the wheels underneath and watching the steering wheel movement at the same time? You must have a giraffe neck. :rolleyes:
giraffe.jpg