Steering feels loose when hitting bumps

FultonD33

TJ Enthusiast
If I hit a bump my tires can be visibly seen turning left/right despite me holding the steering wheel tight. Any ideas?

New Currie track bar (no slack)
New Timken hubs
New Spicer ball joints
New Currie Currectlync (no slack)

Can it be coming from the gearbox? I can turn the wheel 1/16-1/8th turn left/right while parked and the tires don't move.

Jeep seems to pull left as well as follow the crown of the road pretty heavily. Does not drive nicely. I’ll include an alignment printout (toe has been adjusted since)

IMG_1117.jpg

Aside from the modifications listed is there anything else non-stock on your suspension or steering?

I'm chasing the same issue and first things I'd double check knowing you have a good steering system and new track bar, do you still have the stock pitman arm? Double check your drag link and track bar have the same angle (pull a string from centerline of bolts on both ends). Double check that your track bar is adjusted and your axle is centered under the vehicle (at ride height).

Your tires are out of balance.

I had some slop like you... replaced tie rods/ends/drag link... then lower steering shaft. Kept getting better. Then my PS gearbox started leaking. Just replaced that yesterday and WOW. Steering is tight, no more play, feels great all around. And honestly a pretty cheap/easy swap. Took my time and even then I was done in under 2 hours.

Reactions: TreverStevens
I had some slop like you... replaced tie rods/ends/drag link... then lower steering shaft. Kept getting better. Then my PS gearbox started leaking. Just replaced that yesterday and WOW. Steering is tight, no more play, feels great all around. And honestly a pretty cheap/easy swap. Took my time and even then I was done in under 2 hours.
Which box did you replace it with? How difficult was the lower steering shaft? I think some of my play is there.

I'm chasing the same issue and first things I'd double check knowing you have a good steering system and new track bar, do you still have the stock pitman arm? Double check your drag link and track bar have the same angle (pull a string from centerline of bolts on both ends). Double check that your track bar is adjusted and your axle is centered under the vehicle (at ride height).
Drag link and track bar are at pretty good angles, almost perfect. Stock pitman arm. Axle may be a hair off center, need to re measure.

Reactions: TreverStevens
Which box did you replace it with? How difficult was the lower steering shaft? I think some of my play is there.

Just went with a gearbox from Oreilly. It was in stock and I didn’t have time to wait around for anything else.

Lower steering shaft was super simple. Was maybe a 15 minute job.

Reactions: FultonD33