Steering lock

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
This may be a premature question, but sometimes my steering locks when I pull my key, and sometimes it doesn't. I have not pulled the steering wheel or column yet, but is this a common TJ thing? Is there something I should look for first or after disassembly?

Thanks in advance

Forgot to mention,
1998 TJ sport loaded with cruise control on the steering wheel, 4.0L with AX15.

Is it possible that the shaft isn’t turned to a spot that will let the lock “key” drop into the receiver slot on the steering shaft?

I’m not sure off hand how many receiver slots are on the shaft but it may be only a couple. If the wheel locks when the steering wheel is centered, or close to center, it may also lock only if it’s turned 180’.

Just something you might check before tearing into the column.

I have a service manual for an 06 if there is something you want me to look up as far as the proper operation.

I rotated it 360 degrees today both ways and it never locked, but yesterday I rotated it 90 degrees and it locked right way. It is about a 50/50 shot if it will lock or not.

I rotated it 360 degrees today both ways and it never locked, but yesterday I rotated it 90 degrees and it locked right way. It is about a 50/50 shot if it will lock or not.

In that case I think you are going to have to get into the column and see why the mechanism is sticking.

Reactions: ac_
In that case I think you are going to have to get into the column and see why the mechanism is sticking.
Ya I figured, but I was hoping someone would say oh ya that happened to me, and I was able to flip this switch without tearing the column apart haha. Change a fuse? It is 106 in Chandler today, and that is too hot to tear into the steering column! Well shit you are in Peoria so you know!