Steering squeak

braydon

Hello,

I've been dealing with a lot of squeaking coming from my suspension and steering recently. Today i managed to get rid of the suspension squeak (most of it) by squirting silicone spray onto the suspension bushings.

I did the same for the steering components but haven't had the same luck. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction for fixing this noise? It's quite loud and somewhat embarrasing when driving around😅

Try spraying aerosol white lithium grease from the passenger compartment side of the firewall onto the rubber grommet the steering wheel shaft passes through. That's a common source of steering squeaking.

Reactions: Moon Eyes
That’s a good post ...with those bearings hard to get we need to figure out a way to zerk those or use a needle. That bearing will cause some grief if worn badly.

Update:
I've attempted to spray the steering wheel shaft grommet but had no luck.

On further inspection the squeak is coming directly from the steering components which are close to the wheel on the right hand side, I've circled the area where the noise is coming from in red. I've sat under the jeep and attempted to pin point where the noise is coming from with someone turning the wheel but it's really hard. Spraying dry lubricant on all the moving pieces in that area didn't help.

One thing i did notice was that after spraying a butimen rust proof coating on that particular area (was doing the entire underbody) the noise stopped for a few turns of the wheel as i was backing out of the driveway. Knowing this doesn't bring me much closer to finding the problem but at least i know it can be fixed

image (4).png

If the squeak is happening in that area when you turn the wheel, then it could be an upper or lower ball joint, the axle ujoint, or the tie rod end. Is there any play in any of those components?