strange clunk noise

Morcerfusmc

I purchased a 02 tj a few days ago off craigslist. I didn't notice any noises when i test drove it, however the past few days i notice a painful clunk sound i can't really figure out where it is coming from. it sounds like the rear driver side. It is a manual transmission and when i am accelerating and let off the gas i can her the 'knock' or 'clunk' i also hear it if i am backing out of my driveway and hit a small bump. Any help would be extremely appreciated, this forum seems amazing.

I took two videos so you can hear it

also just wanted to add these are the upgrades -dana 44
- Metal Cloak 3.5 duroflex Lift
- Metal cloak arched Fenders
-Metal cloak low profile Marker lights
- JB super short sye
- 35" mtrs with Brand nee spare
- Black Rock Wheels 15x8
-Bilstein Shocks all around
- Black magic Brakes and rotors up front
-Teraflex Disc brake conversion
-Zj tie rod

Mine sounded that way but would clunk when you give it gas and clunk when you let off and it ended up being the tranny mount. I was checking arm joints and ujoints and they were good. Replaced the tranny mount and it's gone.

Reactions: Morcerfusmc
I had a similar clunk. Never heard it from the outside so I cannot say if it's exact to yours. But I'd hear it in forward or reverse. Found that one of my control arm bolts on the frame side was not properly torqued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, this could be a lot of things.

Does it only happen when you accelerate from a dead stop or does it happen the entire time while driving?

Oh man, this could be a lot of things.

Does it only happen when you accelerate from a dead stop or does it happen the entire time while driving?
it does happen if I accelerate abruptly in 1st or 2nd gear but it is more pronounced if i let off the gas quick. it almost seems like when the jeeps momentum is going forward and stops for a second it makes the clunk noise. it seems that it is coming from the rear left wheel but i am not positive

it does happen if I accelerate abruptly in 1st or 2nd gear but it is more pronounced if i let off the gas quick. it almost seems like when the jeeps momentum is going forward and stops for a second it makes the clunk noise. it seems that it is coming from the rear left wheel but i am not positive

But it's not constantly happening though, like let's say if you are just cruising on the highway at a consistent speed?

If it only happens during accel or decel, that would suggest it's something shifting with the weight of the vehicle as it stops or goes. I would probably check bushings on the control arms and track bars for sure, as well as making sure those bolts are all torqued to the proper spec.

Have you gotten under the vehicle to see if there's visually any signs of something worn or damaged?

Reactions: JP98
If you have any questions about whether a bushing is bad or not, take a picture (with good lighting) and post it here. We may be able to help you determine whether it's a likely cause or not.

What if any mods does the suspension have?
the control arms and springs are all metalcloak. i'm going to tighten the control arm bolts does anybody know how much torque? i think it is 125 for the rear but i am not positive. sorry i am such a noob lol

the control arms and springs are all metalcloak. i'm going to tighten the control arm bolts does anybody know how much torque? i think it is 125 for the rear but i am not positive. sorry i am such a noob lol

Here you go:
Jeep Wrangler TJ Torque Specs

There's a decent chance those bushings in the control arms could need re-building. Depending on what kind of mileage and use they have.