Strangest noise, any ideas?

Ken G Ford

Strange noise just started up.

1997 Jeep TJ 4.0 Automatic with 67,000 miles. No CEL :)

Appears to be from the back axle? but not 100% sure....my hearing inst what it used to be.
Noise starts up above 25MPH......best description of sound would be a Squeaky water pump that
steadily oscillates but doesn't seem to modulate with engine RPM. Threw it in N while driving at 30MPH
and even reved it but no change in sqeal and occilation.

Doesn't change pitch when I'm rolling at different speed above 25MPH. I even tried and pulling
the emergency brake up slowly to see if it impacts the squealing noise....but it doesn't.

Changes volume just for a split second if I engage 4x4 around 30MPH but you can still hear it...... not convinced
it has anything to do with transfer case.... but drive line angle changes ever so slightly when in 4X4 ?

All the squealing / oscillating noise seems to go away after driving 10 or more miles......

Annoying to say the least as it doesn't seem to have any kind of mechanical impact to my rig what so ever......
just an annoying squeak especially noticable with the top off.

Any ideas?

Initially thought maybe the Fan Clutch...... air flow causing it to turn and squeak ? built then again I would think revving the engine would cause noise to change ?

OK, wanted to update just in case it might help others out there. After doing some more diagnostic trouble shooting, I make the conclusion that it might be the front drive shaft. Putting it into 4x4 and then back to 2 wheel drive numerious times, I was able to cause a change in the chirping noise 80% of the time....... Ordered new front drive shaft rebuild kit from Dennys drive shaft and replaced all three U Joints along with the ball joint inside the double cardin joint. Issue resolved. After doing more reading I think thsi was the noise some folks refer to as the "Angry Sparrow" noise. As a side note. This vehicle has 68,000 miles and spent its whole life in dry climate of AZ so others may face the same issue I had regardless of miles.

Reactions: SoCalGlide