Struggling with where to go with my build

I actually like the look of 31s, I think they look proportionally correct on a TJ. but I'm worried they won't be enough. @Irun I see you run 31s. do you ever feel like you're extremely limited?
Short answer is no. I'll caveat that though by saying I recently bumped up to a 32x10 (255/75R17) tire. This was necessary because I run the Yukon small hub kit, which impacts wheel offset and backspacing. It turns out the JK, JL, and JT factory wheels work out perfectly for my setup. The stock tires they come with are the 255/75R17. With a 32" tire the Jeep now has a 15" belly height and drives amazing.

As a comparison, the previous LJ I built was at a 17" belly height on 35" tires. I could have gone higher, but didn't know any better at the time. Although The jeep hasn't been subjected to any serious off-roading yet, it was built for that and I'm confident, based on what I have done, that I'll be able to keep up with those on bigger tires with minimal effort.

I do want to be up front though, my build is not normal and wasn't cheap. It started with a specific goal, i.e. smaller tires, but more function, and I've stayed true to that. Also, I'm by no means an expert. There are those that are far more knowledgeable than myself. What I've learned is what I stated. Pick a tire and belly height, then build to that. If you do, you'll have a well sorted out Jeep.

Reactions: Gibsonfirebird12
After you move East, wheel it a few times and let the Jeep tell you it’s needs.

I would not put a lunchbox in the rear. I don’t think that would go over well if you ever decided to sell. I prefer a front locker if it’s one or the other because the rear pushes and that’s not as good on snow and ice for steering as the front is pulling. Gears are a must. Pick your final tire size and choose accordingly. A TT is a ritzy Jeep mod. Looks good, terrific clearance, and a lot of work to get there. I see it near the end of a build (are they ever done?). Lockers are king.
I've had a lunchbox in the rear of my XJ for 50k miles, and I love it. It's easy to control and predictable in snow, and I've never had a problem steering. I did have lots of problems steering with a lunchbox in the front of my TJ though.

Reactions: Gibsonfirebird12
I've had a lunchbox in the rear of my XJ for 50k miles, and I love it. It's easy to control and predictable in snow, and I've never had a problem steering. I did have lots of problems steering with a lunchbox in the front of my TJ though.
In an XJ I would recommend a rear lunchbox in many situations. For the aforementioned reasons I would not recommend one in the rear of a TJ. It’s not common here to recommend them in the front or rear in a snow/ice environment. If it’s working for you, that’s great. We are each entitled to our own opinion.