Rear sound bar speaker replacement suggestions

1998 TJ. Other than wheels and tires, all stock (including radio w/cassette). The right rear soundbar speaker is not working. I’m at the age that I don’t need or want to spend a fortune replacing everything. I’m ok with stock. Can/should I just buy two new rear speakers that will also have a better sound than the originals? I would imagine the stock radio will only handle so many watts, etc.
what say you?
Thanks in advance!

1998 TJ. Other than wheels and tires, all stock (including radio w/cassette). The right rear soundbar speaker is not working. I’m at the age that I don’t need or want to spend a fortune replacing everything. I’m ok with stock. Can/should I just buy two new rear speakers that will also have a better sound than the originals? I would imagine the stock radio will only handle so many watts, etc.
what say you?
Thanks in advance!

Have you tried swapping the right and left speakers to confirm it's the speaker and not something else?
Nothing wrong with upgrading the speakers.
Polk 5.25s are commonly used front and rear.

Reactions: macleanflood
Ok, the right rear speaker is bad.
I want to replace the front and rear more or less plug and play. I’m 55, don’t need to blow anyone out with sound.
I’ve seen kicker bundles with 4x6 in the front with pods and I’ve also seen we’ll know enthusiast say go with a round speaker in the front using a conversation bracket and to stay with a sensitivity db of 90+.
Any bundle advise or what front and rear to purchase (as a bundle)?
Thanks

And stuff the soundbar with polyfil batting while you have the speakers out. 62 pages of light reading...but everyone summed it up above.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/upgrading-the-sound-system-on-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.11104/

-Mac

P S. A powered sub under the seat is a really nice treat.

P.P.S I upgraded all my stuff but can't hear anything with the top down on the freeway. I ended up with Rugged Radio intercoms that not only do Bluetooth, but you can talk to your passenger and over a radio. Expensive but wonderful.

P P.P.S change the tread title to sound system suggestions!

View attachment 528295

Last edited:
what say you?
Thanks in advance!

Find out why the speaker is not working. It could be wiring, something in the head unit, or the speaker. Once you find the problem fix it.

If it’s speakers, lots of folks here use Polk db series.

what say you?
Thanks in advance!

This is getting contagious.

I’ve tried to change the title but it’s not giving me an option, even when I go back to my original post.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Call Crutchfield
They specialize in selling exactly what level of $$ spending people want to stay in, plus you get everything you need to hook it up for newbs