Suspension Cycle Question

JKLNHYD

TJ Enthusiast
I am installing a 3.5" RE Super-flex system in our 2001 TJ. Look at the photo of my rear install as I cycled the suspension last night. It might be a bit difficult to gauge from the photo but each side depicts where initial contact is being made. Driver side is almost a complete miss. Passenger is a partial miss. I feel like the upper and lower bumps won't meet as I have seen other photos of and I'm not sure what adjustments need to be made, if any, to the track bar. The axle is very close to centered already (within 1/4"). It looks like the axle needs to shift towards the center from each side, however doing so, would make the opposite side worse.

I set the upper links according to Rubicon's instructions (3/4" longer than stock-to start with). I understand that I may need to adjust the pinion a bit more after the new driveshaft is installed. That would improve the front/rear location slightly. It's the left/right positioning I'm concerned about. Or am I being too picky?

Thinking about it this morning, I was using my floor jack under the brake drum from the side of the axles. Is it possible I would see a better bump alignment if I was jacking it from the rear so the jack isn't exerting lateral forces to the axle as the jack rises?
Rear Bumpstop Comparison.JPG
?

I am installing a 3.5" RE Super-flex system in our 2001 TJ. Look at the photo of my rear install as I cycled the suspension last night. It might be a bit difficult to gauge from the photo but each side depicts where initial contact is being made. Driver side is almost a complete miss. Passenger is a partial miss. I feel like the upper and lower bumps won't meet as I have seen other photos of and I'm not sure what adjustments need to be made, if any, to the track bar. The axle is very close to centered already (within 1/4"). It looks like the axle needs to shift towards the center from each side, however doing so, would make the opposite side worse.

I set the upper links according to Rubicon's instructions (3/4" longer than stock-to start with). I understand that I may need to adjust the pinion a bit more after the new driveshaft is installed. That would improve the front/rear location slightly. It's the left/right positioning I'm concerned about. Or am I being too picky?

Thinking about it this morning, I was using my floor jack under the brake drum from the side of the axles. Is it possible I would see a better bump alignment if I was jacking it from the rear so the jack isn't exerting lateral forces to the axle as the jack rises?View attachment 145319?
A coil correction kit is the fix for this issue.

something like this:
https://genright.com/products/rear-coil-spring-correction-kit.htmlThere are many kits out there. If you dont like any of the kits. The old mounts can be cut, moved, and re-welded. Its all up to you and what you decide.

Reactions: Chris
A coil correction kit is the fix for this issue.

something like this:
https://genright.com/products/rear-coil-spring-correction-kit.htmlThere are many kits out there. If you dont like any of the kits. The old mounts can be cut, moved, and re-welded. Its all up to you and what you decide.
It looks like his axle is moving side to side when cycled which is perfectly normal due to how the track bar is mounted. The coil correction kits just move the rearward, not sideways so won’t help him any

Reactions: JKLNHYD
Pictures look like side to side is ok. At least to me. Without coffee. Cut the top plates off and reeled them further back on the frame to align the contact front to rear, or use a realign kit. If you can get the pics from a straight to the side and straight to the rear it would be easier to see than your 45* angle shots.

something else to note, is that when doing a cycle test you pull out the (Yellow) soft jounce bumpers and cycle until the metal parts touch. In real world driving, that jounce bumper might as well be a marshmallow.

You need to make sure the axle is centered at normal ride height, springs installed, vehicle weight on the axle.

If you were to center the axle at full compression, it would be off center at normal ride height.

You need to make sure the axle is centered at normal ride height, springs installed, vehicle weight on the axle.

If you were to center the axle at full compression, it would be off center at normal ride height.

That makes sense. I guess I'll finish the install, set the Jeep down on its tires and dial in the track bar and then remove the tires and coils to validate all over again.

Reactions: g.hayduke