Tablet/Trail GPS

cclarke802

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Thinking about picking up a tablet or GPS unit for trails I've seen the Magellan TRX but that seems like alot of money for an android tablet with a single map program. What does everyone here use any suggestions? I am leaning towards a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8" which goes for about $150 bucks but curious to see what everyone here does.

The problem with a cell or tablet is there is almost no coverage and if you did not get the maps downloaded properly you will be in for a surprise. In addition if you get turned around (aka lost) you may not be able to depend on a cell or table to guide you out. I use a Garmin GPS that I load with custom waypoints from a program on my laptop. I also carry maps and a compass as backup. My issue is that the Garmin (when on the trail) is not always bright enough to follow the trail. While you can see the trail on the screen you may need to listen to it complain about turning around. I generally just turn of the volume and keep driving. A lot of times it wants to go back to hardtop to figure out the next point. Another advantage of a GPS is you can just tell it to go home, campsite, etc. and it will help you find your way out. I have looked at the Magellan TRX but can't get past the price.

The problem with a cell or tablet is there is almost no coverage and if you did not get the maps downloaded properly you will be in for a surprise. In addition if you get turned around (aka lost) you may not be able to depend on a cell or table to guide you out. I use a Garmin GPS that I load with custom waypoints from a program on my laptop. I also carry maps and a compass as backup. My issue is that the Garmin (when on the trail) is not always bright enough to follow the trail. While you can see the trail on the screen you may need to listen to it complain about turning around. I generally just turn of the volume and keep driving. A lot of times it wants to go back to hardtop to figure out the next point. Another advantage of a GPS is you can just tell it to go home, campsite, etc. and it will help you find your way out. I have looked at the Magellan TRX but can't get past the price.
And thats what I have been looking at, the reason I like the Samsung is it has a true GPS receiver and i can add a memeory card so i can download a ton of offline maps. If the TRX was less expensive i would be all over it.

I assume you are talking about using something like Google maps for your guidance. How do you load multiple waypoints and routes, what if you want to change plans mid-stream (pun intended), do you need to stop and plot out a new route entirely? This is an area (tablet) that I am not skilled out. As for the GPS I have been using them from the first days when only the military had them and am very comfortable with I can make them do for me.

there are several trail apps for android that let you do this I just wanted to see what everyone's experience was, i was thinking of going the tablet route for the larger screen size and there is not much price difference between it and many GPS models

If you can hold out, wait for the new BCM 47755 chip to hit new mobile phones / tablets / phablets. Although I am not a proponent of Fraudcom as a company in general, they are going to improve GPS accuracy and help battery life on mobile devices using the chipset soon. Do a search for "BCM47755 mobile phone gps accuracy" on the net.

If you can hold out, wait for the new BCM 47755 chip to hit new mobile phones / tablets / phablets. Although I am not a proponent of Fraudcom as a company in general, they are going to improve GPS accuracy and help battery life on mobile devices using the chipset soon. Do a search for "BCM47755 mobile phone gps accuracy" on the net.
I wonder if the next lineup from Samsung will have that in there

I have been using Motion X GPS app on my Iphone and Ipad for several years. Before I upgraded my Ipad the first one I had was wifi only. The Garmin gps receiver is the only one that will work with Ipad's bluetooth. It works great. I have since upgraded my Ipad to one with data. It works great for me. I can download gpx files to it or I can track myself. Motion X GPS will allow you to share with others, the initial cost is that of the app no charges for the gpx files. The only thing I wish they would change is you can only have up to 300 trails recorded on the app.

We also use the Polaris Ride Command. It was made for atv's but it also works great. One of the cool parts of it. It will allow you to create a group and invite them in. When we do some rookie ride we are usually the trail leaders. This app allows us to see each others position in real time. So that way if we are rallying at any way point. we can see where the others are and they can see us.

http://gps.motionx.com/

https://ridecommand.polaris.com/en-us/home

Reactions: cclarke802