Tailgate glass rattles against tailgate. Fix without replacing glass?

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
Replacing the glass to get a fresh seal at the bottom of the glass against the tailgate is expensive for a fix that might not even be the solution. Has anyone with a rattle fixed it by only replacing the seal with a thicker one?

I have verified the cause of the rattle by pressing on the glass and making it bump against the tailgate. The hinges for the glass itself are tight at the top. I'm pretty sure the tailgate isn't straight either and leaves a slightly larger gap between the glass than normal. I'd rather not buy new glass and a new tailgate to fix the issue.

Ideas?

I used this strip of vertical bulb trim seal to keep the back glass from popping over the tailgate:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HVDO86K/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Installed it almost a year ago and it has worked great. The flange fits perfectly over the top edge of the tailgate and holds tight.

Not my image, but this is what it looks like after install:

Reactions: JLLJ and nk24
Replacing the glass to get a fresh seal at the bottom of the glass against the tailgate is expensive for a fix that might not even be the solution. Has anyone with a rattle fixed it by only replacing the seal with a thicker one?

I have verified the cause of the rattle by pressing on the glass and making it bump against the tailgate. The hinges for the glass itself are tight at the top. I'm pretty sure the tailgate isn't straight either and leaves a slightly larger gap between the glass than normal. I'd rather not buy new glass and a new tailgate to fix the issue.

Ideas?
I don't understand how a new tailgate or new glass would have different dimensions.

there is a little adjustment in the hinges that will move the glass up and down, but nothing comes close to working as good as the seal in the post below your original post... It's cheap and only takes a few minutes to install.

It's been my guess that the rest of the seal around the glass collapses a little bit over time and allows it to come in a little further than it should.

I purchased the seal and I never had another problem.

Reactions: nk24
+1 to what @nk24 said, in fact I think he was the one who recommended it to me for the same issue. Cheaply solved my problem too. I don't have the tailgate bar for the soft top either and it's done a fine job keeping water out in place of that too, FWIW.

I don't understand how a new tailgate or new glass would have different dimensions.

Because the current tailgate is bent. One of my Jeeps it's an issue, the other it's not, so I think replacing both of those items would fix the issue, but be very expensive.

I'm going to try the seal @nk24 recommended.

Reactions: nk24
Because the current tailgate is bent. One of my Jeeps it's an issue, the other it's not, so I think replacing both of those items would fix the issue, but be very expensive.

I'm going to try the seal @nk24 recommended.
Cool..got ya. the seal will do great unless that thing is bent beyond belief.