The consensus is that stock Dana 30/44 axles can handle 33s, correct?

Thunder Mass

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sorry to make yet another "how big of tires can I run" thread, but mostly what I see on other forums refers to either JKs, or a Dana 35 rear. So, might as well ask. And I apologize; I write a lot.

I've got an '05 LJ that is relatively stock, and I'm hoping to modify it in a few months. Dana 30/44 limited slip, 3.73 gears and 6 speed manual. I do not plan on upgrading the axles at all, because I'm hoping to swap them out in a few years, when the new tires wear out. Hopefully. Which is why, as much as I'd like 35s, I'm planning on going with the 33s for now. I won't be doing very hard wheeling, either. It's my DD, and I'm more into overlanding and mild trails. So I'm hoping that the 33s, which are usually 32.5" to 32.7" will work.

The only other consideration for tire size is if I run 17" rims. The reason I'm considering those is because I was stuck deciding between 10.5" and 12.5" tires. Being in the PNW, I'm leaning heavy on the 10.5" for the rain, snow, and being my DD. But, I thought maybe split the difference and go 11.5" or so. The only 11.5" on a 15" rim I can find is a 32", which is okay, I suppose... Until I looked at the metrics on 17" rims. Tires that're 285/75 17 are actually 33.9" tall, and 295/75 17 are 33.5" tall. I'm worried that those will be a bit too big for my axles.

I like the TJ specs thread, as well as the "so you wanna run 35s" thread, I found them to be very helpful. This might be a bit too much to ask for, but what might be good to prevent future threads (like mine) is maybe something explaining which axles can handle what, between the stock axle options and common replacement ones. And, what they can handle in stock configuration vs being modified further. Kinda like how much lift/tire, but instead how much axle/tire. Just a suggestion. Thanks.

Reactions: Chris
If all you're doing is overloading and mild-trails, the stock Dana 30/Dana 44 combo will handle 33s as long as you aren't one of those guys who assumes that the answer to being stuck / hung-up is always more throttle.

Those 33.9" tires are more like a 34". Can the stock axles handle it? Yes, they can. But that's all going to come down to how to drive. The weak point will be the axle shafts, and you'll break them if you aren't careful.

Nothing is indestructible. Even a built Dana 60 axle can be destroyed in short order by an asshole who doesn't know what they're doing.

Good suggestion on that thread by the way, I'll take you up on that one.

I'm also in the PNW (Oregon), and I can tell you from experience, if you want a better performing tire for the constant rain, the 10.5 will perform far better than the 12.5. My 33" Duratracs on my last TJ were 11.2", which was a happy medium. They performed excellent in the rain!

Yes, that axle combo is fine for up to 35’s. If yo go that big, just upgrade the Dana 30 shafts to 4340 and the Dana 44 to 4340. The Dana 30 and Dana 44 are a great combo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That's what I was hoping; be sensible and you'll be fine. Thanks for confirming. Maybe if I add chromoly shafts, I'll look into those 34s. But that's less likely for me.

Nice, glad to make a good suggestion. And it's great to hear that the 10.5s are the way to go.

Reactions: Chris
Yes, that axle combo is fine for up to 35’s. If yo go that big, just upgrade the Dana 30 shafts to 1541H and the Dana 44 to 4340. The Dana 30 and Dana 44 are a great combo.
I'll look into those too, depending on the price. I'm getting out of the Navy (hopefully) in 18 months, so I gotta start saving. If they fit my budget, I'll consider them, regardless if I do 33s or slightly larger.

I honestly don’t think you’d need them unless you went to 35’s. The Dana 30 and 44 with stock axles is perfect for 33’s

I agree with @JMT. I've wheeled on stock 30/44 axles with 33's for the past 3 years. Never had a single problem. I did upgrade to revolution axle shafts front and rear recently after making the jump to 35's.

I decided to go with the revolution big u-joint shafts instead of the discovery series mostly because the big u-joint shafts are made in the US (I'm pretty sure the discovery series shafts are imported).

https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/dana-30-front-axle-kit-tj-lj-xj/

Reactions: JMT
The 30 and 44 is actually fine as is for 35's. It's really only when a locker is placed in them and you're really doing tough trails when stronger 4340 alloy shafts become recommended. Especially up front with a locker and 35's.
@Jerry Bransford , I've heard you mention/recommend Revolution Gear for axle shafts before. On their website, they only list a "left hand rear axle" for the Dana 44 for the TJ. Any idea what's up with that?

Last edited:
I honestly don’t think you’d need them unless you went to 35’s. The Dana 30 and 44 with stock axles is perfect for 33’s

I definitely feel better making this thread, feeling confident running 33s. I probably won't do the shafts unless I go with one of those metric 34s.

I agree with @JMT. I've wheeled on stock 30/44 axles with 33's for the past 3 years. Never had a single problem. I did upgrade to revolution axle shafts front and rear recently after making the jump to 35's.

I decided to go with the revolution big u-joint shafts instead of the discovery series mostly because the big u-joint shafts are made in the US (I'm pretty sure the discovery series shafts are imported).

https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/dana-30-front-axle-kit-tj-lj-xj/

If I go with tires larger than 33s, I'll definitely consider those.

The 30 and 44 is actually fine as is for 35's. It's really only when a locker is placed in them and you're really doing tough trails when stronger 4340 alloy shafts become recommended. Especially up front with a locker and 35's.

I'm actually a bit surprised to hear that, to be honest. But again, I feel good about my decision to do 33s. I do intend on doing the ZJ tierod, but if I go with 35s I'll probably do the shafts to be safe. Plus I'll need brakes, which is another reason I was drifting away from 35s.

Jerry, I've heard you mention/recommend Revolution Gear before for axle shafts before. On their website, they only list a "left hand rear axle" for the Dana 44 for the TJ. Any idea what's up with that?
They have a kit which includes both sides, bearings, seals, and axle retainer brackets pressed on and ready to install. The shafts are also available separately too but...

Contact Ricky at www.4lowparts.com who has been a Revolution dealer nearly since day one.

Reactions: Squatch
They have a kit which includes both sides, bearings, seals, and axle retainer brackets pressed on and ready to install. The shafts are also available separately but...

Contact Ricky at www.4lowparts.com who has been a Revolution dealer nearly since day one.
Thank you, Jerry. Appreciate the info!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Funny thing, I have researched this exactly but everyone above answered it for me. I have 32s now and was going to move up to 33s and add 1 more inch of lift accommodate. The 30/44 is a good combo for what we want to do. I only use 4wd for snow, beach and light trails to camping sites or hunting. I personally believe 3" and 33s is perfect for that kind of offroad driving.

Funny thing, I have researched this exactly but everyone above answered it for me. I have 32s now and was going to move up to 33s and add 1 more inch of lift accommodate. The 30/44 is a good combo for what we want to do. I only use 4wd for snow, beach and light trails to camping sites or hunting. I personally believe 3" and 33s is perfect for that kind of offroad driving.
No need for aftermarket axle shafts for that size tire. The OE Dana 30 and Dana 44 shafts are more than up to them. :)

Last edited:
Opinion on that set up and locked?
With 33's? The stock Dana 30 and Dana 44 are still fine with 33's and lockers so long as you're not hammering them with heavy throttle and driving stupid. It's when you get to 35's when it becomes time to invest in alloy shafts if you're doing tough trails. I wheeled my previous TJ's Dana 30 and Dana 44 with 35's locked front and rear on tough trails but it took wheelin on an extremely tough trail called Sledgehammer before a front axle shaft finally snapped.

This is one view of Sledgehammer... what it finally took to snap my stock OE front Dana 30 axleshaft with 35" tires and f/r lockers. It was only after this trail that it was time to upgrade the front Dana 30 shafts to alloy 4340 27 spline inner/outer shafts. That's my then 13 year old son sitting on that boulder.

DSCF0073.JPG

With 33's? The stock Dana 30 and Dana 44 are still fine with 33's and lockers so long as you're not hammering them with heavy throttle and driving stupid. It's when you get to 35's when it becomes time to invest in alloy shafts if you're doing tough trails. I wheeled my previous TJ's Dana 30 and Dana 44 with 35's locked front and rear on tough trails but it took wheelin on an extremely tough trail called Sledgehammer before a front axle shaft finally snapped.

This is one view of Sledgehammer... what it finally took to snap my stock OE front Dana 30 axleshaft with 35" tires and f/r lockers. It was only after this trail that it was time to upgrade the front Dana 30 shafts to alloy 4340 27 spline inner/outer shafts. That's my then 13 year old son sitting on that boulder.

View attachment 68901

With 33’s correct.
Thanks for sharing that info.
Wow that is some impressive terrain, don’t see my self doing anything like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: dangjalopy