Thought I'd introduce my winter project—a 2004 yellow LJ

jaywebguy

It all started back in October. I was bored, working from home, not looking forward to a winter stuck at the house with no projects to keep me busy. Anyway, it was a slow day at work when I came across a yellow 2004 LJ for $9,000. For Idaho that's a steal, most go for at least $14,000 or more depending on the shape.

jeep add.jpg

Well I called the guy and asked if I could take a look. The next day I met him at his apartment and right away I could tell this jeep had been used, but I figured if the price was right I could make it work. I really wanted my daughter to have a jeep of her own to drive. We took the jeep for a ride and right away I started noticing things that were wrong or broken. I started to make a mental note and started to figure out what it would cost me to fix, knowing I'd be doing the work myself. Just a few examples: There was body damage on the passenger side, the brake lights didn't work (the one above the spare tire did though). The radio didn't work, he said it was a blown fuse, I suspected he was hiding the check engine light instead (he was). The front driver's tired was so bald, wires were popping through, the other tires were all good though. I thought really bad alignment, still not sure what happened here (more on that later). All the carpet had been removed and there was no back seat. Turned out he had only had it to use for the past 3 months it was his dad's and he was using it as a daily driver, which just didn't work given its overall shape.

After the drive and I inspected it some more, I decide, what the hell, I'll low ball and see what happens. In short, he accepted the offer, and I met him at his dad's house to finalize the deal. The title was in his dad's name so technically I was buying it from him.

Got the jeep home, took a couple of pictures of it with Hailee, and pulled it in the garage to do a deep dive. Here's the punch list. I keep track of all of this on a whiteboard in my shop, I add things to it as they come up.

HaileeAndJeep.jpg

• Valve cover gasket and all that goes along with that
    valvecover-workbench.jpg
  • Oil pan
  • Rear main seal
    oilpanOnWorkBench.jpg
  • heater core
    interiorWithDashOut.jpg
  • New tires (need 5) — found a good semi-used set on craigslist
  • Oil pan gasket
  • Rear brake lights
  • Remove rusted side steps
  • Remove dump light bar
  • Remove bent front push bar
  • Fix broken bolt from removing light bar
    broken bolt.jpg
  • Heat treat wheel fenders, this is temporary until I replace them with new bushwacker fenders
  • pull off the dump plastic side pieces on the front and rear bumpers both will get replaced later
  • Ignition actuator (which broke at the exact time I put the start back on after changing the oil pan gasket and rear main seal)
  • Replace missing side bolts holding dash on
  • Troubleshoot code for bad O2 sensor (turned out the cats had been replaced last year, 02 sensor was dirty, cleaned and light hasn't come back after 300 miles)
  • Front brake pads and rotors
  • Rear brake pads and rotors
  • Replace fuel pump (need to verify it's the problem....)
  • Transmission pan gasket, small leak
  • Heater controls might need replaced, fan speed works, but only blows out of defrost.
  • Drivers side door handle
  • Carpet
  • New headlights (jeep headlights are very dim)
  • Bracket for holding the hood rod in place (it was broken and was annoying)
  • Under Hood light
  • Rear tailgate, from where the dad had backed it into his tongue of his boat trailer and bent it up bad
  • Rear defroster cables
  • All the bolts for the hardtop
  • Ignition lock (key can be removed in any position)
  • Seat covers, or have redone (my stepdad owns an upholstery business)
  • broken console lid ordered a cap if I don't like it will see if I can't get an OEM one off of eBay or carparts
  • Fog lights
  • tap out dents in hood, of can't fix replace with a louvered insert.
  • Remove tint on side windows, it is coming off anyways
  • Cover up the side body damage with rock sliders.
  • Install angry grill JUST KIDDING I PERSONALLY CAN'T STAND THEM
Now for what's next. Hailee is a jr this year, so she'll be driving this for the next couple of years. This spring I still plan on adding a 3 1/2 lift, 1" body lift 35s, and regear it with 4.88s. My silver LJ has a 4" lift, 33s, and 4.56 gears, so she is used to driving a lifted Jeep. Front locking diff. Will be replacing the front axle with a dana 44 also. I'm going to replace the bumpers.

I'll add more pictures to the post as I work on it. I have more on my phone but need to upload them to my pc to edit first.

A few odd things to note. The front driver's side tire was bald, but the other 3 didn't show much wear. I figured bad alignment, but when I put the stock tires on, I found that the jeep drove perfectly straight, with no shimmy or health wobble. Ball joints all check out fine also. There is some play in the steering, but that will get taken care of when I do the lift and upgrade the steering components at the same time. Another thing is the missing carpet. The rear seat had been removed, early on, the dad had stored it in his barn. this meant the seat, was dusty and covered in bird shit. I power washed it and it came out fairly clean. The guy had owned this jeep from day one. In fact, he had recently bought himself a new 2018, which is why he had given this one to his son...

Last edited:
It all started back in October. I was bored, working from home, not looking forward to a winter stuck at the house with no projects to keep me busy. Anyway, it was a slow day at work when I came across a yellow 2004 LJ for $9,000. For Idaho that's a steal, most go for at least $14,000 or more depending on the shape.

View attachment 215463

Well I called the guy and asked if I could take a look. The next day I met him at his apartment and right away I could tell this jeep had been used, but I figured if the price was right I could make it work. I really wanted my daughter to have a jeep of her own to drive. We took the jeep for a ride and right away I started noticing things that were wrong or broken. I started to make a mental note and started to figure out what it would cost me to fix, knowing I'd be doing the work myself. Just a few examples: There was body damage on the passenger side, the brake lights didn't work (the one above the spare tire did though). The radio didn't work, he said it was a blown fuse, I suspected he was hiding the check engine light instead (he was). The front driver's tired was so bald, wires were popping through, the other tires were all good though. I thought really bad alignment, still not sure what happened here (more on that later). All the carpet had been removed and there was no back seat. Turned out he had only had it to use for the past 3 months it was his dad's and he was using it as a daily driver, which just didn't work given its overall shape.

After the drive and I inspected it some more, I decide, what the hell, I'll low ball and see what happens. In short, he accepted the offer, and I met him at his dad's house to finalize the deal. The title was in his dad's name so technically I was buying it from him.

Got the jeep home, took a couple of pictures of it with Hailee, and pulled it in the garage to do a deep dive. Here's the punch list. I keep track of all of this on a whiteboard in my shop, I add things to it as they come up.

View attachment 215499

• Valve cover gasket and all that goes along with that
    View attachment 215464
  • Oil pan
  • Rear main seal
    View attachment 215465
  • heater core
    View attachment 215466
  • New tires (need 5) — found a good semi-used set on craigslist
  • Oil pan gasket
  • Rear brake lights
  • Remove rusted side steps
  • Remove dump light bar
  • Remove bent front push bar
  • Fix broken bolt from removing light bar
    View attachment 215468
  • Heat treat wheel fenders, this is temporary until I replace them with new bushwacker fenders
  • pull off the dump plastic side pieces on the front and rear bumpers both will get replaced later
  • Ignition actuator (which broke at the exact time I put the start back on after changing the oil pan gasket and rear main seal)
  • Replace missing side bolts holding dash on
  • Troubleshoot code for bad O2 sensor (turned out the cats had been replaced last year, 02 sensor was dirty, cleaned and light hasn't come back after 300 miles)
  • Front brake pads and rotors
  • Rear brake pads and rotors
  • Replace fuel pump (need to verify it's the problem....)
  • Transmission pan gasket, small leak
  • Heater controls might need replaced, fan speed works, but only blows out of defrost.
  • Drivers side door handle
  • Carpet
  • New headlights (jeep headlights are very dim)
  • Bracket for holding the hood rod in place (it was broken and was annoying)
  • Under Hood light
  • Rear tailgate, from where the dad had backed it into his tongue of his boat trailer and bent it up bad
  • Rear defroster cables
  • All the bolts for the hardtop
  • Ignition lock (key can be removed in any position)
  • Seat covers, or have redone (my stepdad owns an upholstery business)
  • broken console lid ordered a cap if I don't like it will see if I can't get an OEM one off of eBay or carparts
  • Fog lights
  • tap out dents in hood, of can't fix replace with a louvered insert.
  • Remove tint on side windows, it is coming off anyways
  • Cover up the side body damage with rock sliders.
  • Install angry grill JUST KIDDING I PERSONALLY CAN'T STAND THEM
Now for what's next. Hailee is a jr this year, so she'll be driving this for the next couple of years. This spring I still plan on adding a 3 1/2 lift, 1" body lift 35s, and regear it with 4.88s. My silver LJ has a 4" lift, 33s, and 4.56 gears, so she is used to driving a lifted Jeep. Front locking diff. Will be replacing the front axle with a dana 44 also. I'm going to replace the bumpers.

I'll add more pictures to the post as I work on it. I have more on my phone but need to upload them to my pc to edit first.

A few odd things to note. The front driver's side tire was bald, but the other 3 didn't show much wear. I figured bad alignment, but when I put the stock tires on, I found that the jeep drove perfectly straight, with no shimmy or health wobble. Ball joints all check out fine also. There is some play in the steering, but that will get taken care of when I do the lift and upgrade the steering components at the same time. Another thing is the missing carpet. The rear seat had been removed, early on, the dad had stored it in his barn. this meant the seat, was dusty and covered in bird shit. I power washed it and it came out fairly clean. The guy had owned this jeep from day one. In fact, he had recently bought himself a new 2018, which is why he had given this one to his son...
I’m excited to see it all cleaned up!

HVAC coming out defrost could be a vacuum leak. Check the HVAC vacuum hose on the manifold, mine had a deteriorated elbow and was giving the same systems. No vacuum getting to the controls for switching.

Looking forward to the build.

Reactions: Tob
HVAC coming out defrost could be a vacuum leak. Check the HVAC vacuum hose on the manifold, mine had a deteriorated elbow and was giving the same systems. No vacuum getting to the controls for switching.

Looking forward to the build.
Good idea, I'll check it out tonight.

Looks like a fun project. I take it you're enjoying it so far?
Of course, I love working on things like this. I'm almost to the point to do the lift, tires and regear. I want to drive it for a couple more months first to find out any other issues I should address.

Reactions: Chris
Of course, I love working on things like this. I'm almost to the point to do the lift, tires and regear. I want to drive it for a couple more months first to find out any other issues I should address.
That's a wise idea (y)

Great find, and with a hard top too!

Agreed! All things considered, what did you end up paying for the LJ?
$8500, which for Idaho/Utah is a damn good deal. Most in worse shape go for 13, if they're nice like my silver one, 16 and up..... So far with the work I've put in myself, I'm sitting at about $10k. Lift, tires, bumpers, and regearing is what's going to add up. I'm trying to shop out the lift components now. I'm looking for a shop I can call that has more experience with an LJ and can help advise me on the components to get. 5 years ago I did a zone 4" lift with some upgraded components, and it has worked out great. Want to try something a bit nicer. Shooting for a 4" lift 1" body lift and 35s..... Gearing I'll probably go with 4.88s. 4.56 gearing has worked well on my silver with 33s, but I think I need a bit more with heavier and taller 35s.

$8500, which for Idaho/Utah is a damn good deal. Most in worse shape go for 13, if they're nice like my silver one, 16 and up..... So far with the work I've put in myself, I'm sitting at about $10k. Lift, tires, bumpers, and regearing is what's going to add up. I'm trying to shop out the lift components now. I'm looking for a shop I can call that has more experience with an LJ and can help advise me on the components to get. 5 years ago I did a zone 4" lift with some upgraded components, and it has worked out great. Want to try something a bit nicer. Shooting for a 4" lift 1" body lift and 35s..... Gearing I'll probably go with 4.88s. 4.56 gearing has worked well on my silver with 33s, but I think I need a bit more with heavier and taller 35s.
I'll be interested to hear how you like 4.88's and 35's with the Auto.

I'll be interested to hear how you like 4.88's and 35's with the Auto.
13EF0BD2-DC01-4ED4-AE3C-4D5D4685EF13.jpeg

That was my exact setup I ran when I first started building the rig. At the time, 4.88’s were the lowest gears you could get for the Dana 30 front. It was not bad at all with the 35’s. But I did supercharge it after not too long.

Reactions: MeanGreen86