Ticking noise on start up

LJRubiconGuy

TJ Enthusiast
Ever since I purchased my Rubicon, when I started up in the morning after it's been sitting all night there's a ticking noise until the engine warms up. It increases with RPM, but it goes away completely once the engine is fully warm. It also only happens once the jeep has been sitting for a long time and the motor is completely cooled.

The other thing that's odd is my exhaust is louder than it should be and this is a stock exhaust. I'm thinking that there may be a crack in the intake manifold, but could this be related to the noise I'm hearing on start up?

Try a new and different brand of oil filter. They have check valves inside that can leak and allow the oil to drain out of the top end of the engine and cause a noisy start up. Fram's Tough Guard oil filter has a very good quality check valve and a 99% filtration rating, that'd be a good choice of replacement to try. It actually filters better than many expensive 'premium' oil filters. No exaggeration. :)

Thanks for the advice Jerry, I'm going to check out the oil filter and see if replacing it with one of those Fram oil filters make any difference.

Try a new and different brand of oil filter. They have check valves inside that can leak and allow the oil to drain out of the top end of the engine and cause a noisy start up. Fram's Tough Guard oil filter has a very good quality check valve and a 99% filtration rating, that'd be a good choice of replacement to try. It actually filters better than many expensive 'premium' oil filters. No exaggeration. :)

Didn't Fram get bought out by Walmart or am I confusing them with another brand?

I always use Royal Purple filters and fluids... because America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk