Tire balance issue

Flivver250

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I figured I'd use the balance beads for my tires when I got them new. Cooper AT3 33x12.5x15. Followed the instructions, poured a pre-measured amount of beads in each tire. Maybe I should have doubled the recommended dose. The balance was atrocious. I just had them removed and spin balanced. Problem solved.

Reactions: reddvltj and Chris
I've heard they don't work well until around 40 mph. They tried to sell them for tractor use. Obviously a bad idea. If your rim balance problem lines up with the tire's balance problem then I doubt anything short of an actual spin balance would work.

My son got four used tires for his Ram for free, put them on rims himself and added a certain amount of airsoft bbs to each of them. I don't know how he came up with how many to use but they do work 90% good 90% of the time. I also noticed that if one on the front seems a little off just "rocking" the steering wheel a little bit fixes the vibration.

I said something about it to a mechanic that I happened to meet a couple months ago. He's just a young guy and said he's never tried it but he did work at a shop that worked on semis and he said that they used golf balls in those tires.

I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't work very well on the front suspension of a TJ .

I have those same tires on my 06 ...a little noisy , great look and they hook up well and drive good at 26 psi.