Tire contact wear pattern

Stinkbug

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I was looking at my Jeep last night and noticed the contact pattern of my front tires is odd. The rires are Goodyear MT/R 35x12.5x15 with a C load rating.. Both front tires look the same and they are inflated to about 25psi.

Shouldn't the inner and outer edges be about the same?

I am not sure anything is out of sorts, it just looks odd.

CACDC777-6D97-4151-8BC7-8137D6E69858.jpeg

F0AC1DB1-EFC5-4BA5-838A-EB993FCF5569.jpeg

C22519EF-A18D-4420-AED8-E118475DC921.jpeg

Last edited:
Negative camber/worn suspension/ ball joints
Maybe worn ball joints but I believe the have about 10k (likely much less) on them but maybe the heavy tires beats them up? The other suspension components are of good quality, in good shape and only 2k miles on them.

Regarding camber, I believe the only way to adjust it on a Dana 30 is with offset ball joints. I will have to spend some time educating myself on their use.

I can't tell anything other than mud stains.

If that is what you're talking about take your Jeep out in the rain a few trips and they'll look the same.
Actually that looks normal. The bigger void slings the goo. The tighter side does not.

If you're talking about something else apologies.

I can't tell.

If they're worn fucked up I can't stress to you how important rotation is on tires and even more crucial on a mud tire.

If you don't you'll get hi-lo spots slapping the pavement hard. That soothing mud tire droan turns into an obnoxious flap,flap,flap

I am going to have to hit the neighborhood hopscotch crew for some chalk and check the contact pattern but to seems that the tires are riding on the outer 2/3 of the tread. Hopefully it is an optical illusion.

The chalk might help but I think that's more about underinflated/overinflated. I'd just measure the inner and outer tread depth to get a comparison. I don't even think it matters what you use to measure it, just do it the same. If it's off at all I'd double check my toe in.