Tire questions

That is really nice looking Jeep!

The proportions look just right. I love the fact that you kept the stock steel wheels; they look very Jeep-like and suit the simplistic nature of the "X" model.

I actually made a thread about this about a year ago asking for pictures of Jeeps with the stock steel wheels with a lift:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/who-has-a-lift-with-stock-steel-wheels.34841/#post-574917
The only thing I would change on it if it were mine would be to use the earlier center caps:

View attachment 263241
Thanks for the compliments. I also prefer the old style caps, and I actually like the old style rims better too. (The have more detail in the spoke.) I tried to buy a set of the older caps, but they were in rougher shape than I wanted. I'm still keeping my eye out for a nice set of old style caps that I'll run on my new style rims.

It may be rubbish but all chain tire stores in Australia have a calculator (seems US have them as well) for tire size and 235 is the biggest for a TJ and they do not recommend going over that size
Of course you can put what tires you like on but you void your warranty.
Australian laws are 2 sizes above stock max and 2" lift allowed Max the reason the 65th came out with 225/15s in Australia one size above stock 215/15, it comes down to passenger vehicle safety laws.

And I thought the Rubicon came out with 30,s on 16? There is a lot of conflicting info given the consensus is 31,s are really too big for stock suspension but that's what the Rubicon came with?
So I can then fit 31,s 267/75/15 to a stock height stock suspension unless the 16 wheel plays a part over the 15?

The Rubicon stock tire was a 245/75-16 Goodyear MT/R. I can't find the specs for those old tires, but a Duratrac in that size measures around 30.5" tall, while the new MT/R Kevlar measures 30.7". For comparison, my 31x10.50x15 Yokohamas spec at 30.6, so for all intents and purposes the Rubicon came with a 31. However, there are a couple of key differences. A flotation size 31 measures 10.5" wide, while the 245/75-16 is closer to 9.5. Additionally, the Rubicon's Moab rims had 5" of backspacing instead of the normal 5.5" on a TJ. So the narrower tire with less backspacing clears with additional room compared to a 31x10.50x15 flotation size on OEM wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJRick
Thanks for the info. I'll try to get the build sheet. I was looking for that when researching this jeep. It's great learning more and more!!

Once i get her all set up, I'm going to have to find one for myself!!

Reactions: Blondie70
I'm not familiar with a 30x10.5; as I stated previously, the 30x9.5 was an optional size from the factory. You can likely fit a 31x10.50 without a lift, many have. I like them with a little lift, it's personal preference. See below for mine.

As for @Fishtaco's comment, my tire shop's computer also showed the 31x10.50 wouldn't fit with stock wheels, but that's because their computer mistakenly shows the Wrangler comes with a 15x6 rim. Once I showed them my rims were 15x7 (stamped on the back), they were happy to install them without issue. Besides, many Wranglers came with OEM 15x8 wheels.

View attachment 263011
Did you mention what size your tires are? I like the lift as well, but baby steps until she's ready and more confident. That said, prior to last week she wouldn't hardly drive, it was seriously like pulling teeth. I think she's put over 100miles on this jeep since she got it this past Wednesday. I can't keep her out of it almost! She turns 16 in 10 days, and two months before she can be let loose on her own!

I pulled up the build sheet and it did come with the 15x8 wheels with 30's on them. Thanks everyone!

Did you mention what size your tires are? I like the lift as well, but baby steps until she's ready and more confident. That said, prior to last week she wouldn't hardly drive, it was seriously like pulling teeth. I think she's put over 100miles on this jeep since she got it this past Wednesday. I can't keep her out of it almost! She turns 16 in 10 days, and two months before she can be let loose on her own!

I pulled up the build sheet and it did come with the 15x8 wheels with 30's on them. Thanks everyone!
Mine has 31s; I posted that photo to demonstrate the size. The lift isn’t necessary to clear the tire, but IMO they would be a little disproportional without it.

Glad to hear your daughter is enjoying the Jeep, and glad you found the OEM size for your particular TJ.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments. I also prefer the old style caps, and I actually like the old style rims better too. (The have more detail in the spoke.) I tried to buy a set of the older caps, but they were in rougher shape than I wanted. I'm still keeping my eye out for a nice set of old style caps that I'll run on my new style rims.

The Rubicon stock tire was a 245/76-16 Goodyear MT/R. I can't find the specs for those old tires, but a Duratrac in that size measures around 30.5" tall, while the new MT/R Kevlar measures 30.7". For comparison, my 31x10.50x15 Yokohamas spec at 30.6, so for all intents and purposes the Rubicon came with a 31. However, there are a couple of key differences. A flotation size 31 measures 10.5" wide, while the 245/75-16 is closer to 9.5. Additionally, the Rubicon's Moab rims had 5" of backspacing instead of the normal 5.5" on a TJ. So the narrower tire with less backspacing clears with additional room compared to a 31x10.50x15 flotation size on OEM wheels.
245/70/1629.5"x 9.6"
245/75/1630.5"x 9.6"
If the Rubicon came with 245/70/16 it was 29.5 x9.6 or classed as a 30" the 245/75/16 measures 30.5" x 9.6" which is classed as a 31"
All tyres measure slightly different but its important for me to get it correct else I could end up with a tire too big for a stock application same as OP.

Last edited:
So the narrower tire with less backspacing clears with additional room compared to a 31x10.50x15 flotation size on OEM wheels.
Rubicon wheels have less clearance than stock 15" wheels with 31" tires. Specifically the different offset pushes the wheel into the inner fender at steering lock. At full flex this can be an issue and is a problem with the stock Rubicon especially when you disconnect the sway bar. People have posted pretty detailed pictures of exactly where the problems are. Simply plugging numbers in a tire calculator is an easy way to cause yourself a headache.

245/70/1629.5"x 9.6"
245/75/1630.5"x 9.6"
If the Rubicon came with 245/70/16 it was 29.5 x9.6 or classed as a 30" the 245/75/16 measures 30.5" x 9.6" which is classed as a 31"
All tyres measure slightly different but its important for me to get it correct else I could end up with a tire too big for a stock application same as OP.
I made a typo in my original post you quoted and typed 245/76, but I edited it. The Rubicon came with a 245/75-16, not a 245/70-16.

Reactions: Fishtaco
The Rubicon came with a 245/75-16, not a 245/70-16.
Thanks :) so to put a 31" on my stock I would need 265/75/15 which is too wide as it comes out at 30.6 x 10.4 wide and possibly why my tire fitter said the 31,s wouldn't fit? I would have to order a non common size which would be more costly.

Thanks :) so to put a 31" on my stock I would need 265/75/15 which is too wide as it comes out at 30.6 x 10.4 wide and possibly why my tire fitter said the 31,s wouldn't fit? I would have to order a non common size which would be more costly.
Tell that clueless installer a 245/75 is a factory installed tire size for the Wrangler. The Wrangler Rubicon model it comes on is a Wrangler, with just different accessories.

There are a hundred plus websites that say what sizes of tires were available from the Jeep factory on every year of Wrangler. For example https://tiresize.com/tires/Jeep/Wrangler/

Capture.JPG

I don’t know, I cannot answer if it would fit your Jeep or not, but it should. Do you not have flotation sizes in AUS?

My 33x10.5s rub my control arms at steering lock but clear otherwise. I’ll add a washer or two to the steering stops next weekend to resolve that issue.

Last edited:
Nobody is an idiot, it wont fit without slight rubbing. Some people call that not fitting, no big deal. The Rubicon Dana 44 also had different bump stops on the axle housing to prevent rubbing and interference and I don't think anybody here is talking about that particular Wrangler. When things get close most reputable shops will say it doesn't work. If you rip a flare off or something else they could be at fault. With 31" tires whatever type, metric or standard things get close and every Jeep's a bit different. If you want something that clears totally get smaller tires.

Tell that idiot that's a stock tire size for a Wrangler. The Rubicon model it comes on is still a Wrangler, with just different accessories.
Jerry don't forget I am In Australia and we don't have the range of tires you have, I suppose the tire fitter was speaking of the 10.4 width over the 9.4 the Rubicon came with, to get a 31x 9.5 would be a special order and a big chain tire company will not fit a tire that doesn't fit and give a warranty.

Its no big deal, when I do swap to 31,s I will just put the washers in so the 10.4 width doesn't rub, the main thing is its established that I can put 31,s on stock suspension if I choose.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Nobody is an idiot, it wont fit without slight rubbing. Some people call that not fitting, no big deal. The Rubicon Dana 44 also had different bump stops on the axle housing to prevent rubbing and interference and I don't think anybody here is talking about that particular Wrangler. When things get close most reputable shops will say it doesn't work. If you rip a flare off or something else they could be at fault. With 31" tires whatever type, metric or standard things get close and every Jeep's a bit different. If you want something that clears totally get smaller tires.
I could of gone non big chain tire store and just had 31.s fitted but non chain stores couldn't compete on price v quality/make/ availability with covid and I needed tires as one was worn bad on the inside, the franchise owners have to abide by the companies policies so its my own fault if I wanted 31,s but ended up with smaller lol at least with the chain store I get 2 free rotations with balance checks :)