TJ exhaust tip knocking on fuel tank

dbd67

Hey all,
A newb here to the forum and the Jeep world. I've tried to find a similar thread, but did not have any luck.

My exhaust tip is banging on the fuel tank when accelerating from a stop. I replaced the insulator that and even adding some washers behind the bracket. I have not tried to bend the hanger yet, but not sure if I really want to do that.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on either attaching a rubber pad to the fuel tank or using a thick o-ring on the exhaust tip as a spacer? A silicone o-ring should be ok within the exhaust tip temps.

Thanks!

20180528_195459.jpg

20180528_195509.jpg

Bending the hanger a bit won't hurt at all. I had to do that to mine a little, so I would encourage you to do the same. I'd also inspect the other rubber hangers in the system, as they may be worn and in need of replacing too.

Reactions: dbd67 and Dawghouse
That is a good idea with the washers though. I might do that to mine too, just to get it a little further away.
All these bolt on exhaust kits aren't exactly something that can be bolted on without having to do a little mods to I guess.

Reactions: dbd67
That is a good idea with the washers though. I might do that to mine too, just to get it a little further away.
All these bolt on exhaust kits aren't exactly something that can be bolted on without having to do a little mods to I guess.

There is an exhaust isolator by Nickson, part # 16269 that has a 2 1/4" ID and 3" OD that would be perfect to slip over the exhaust to keep it from hitting the tank. I haven't found it on amazon or ebay, nor in my local parts stores. It looks like they would have to special order it. Since I don't feel like waiting, I'll go with the bending.

The washers added about 1/4" gap, which did reduce the knocking some, but not enough. So, bending the hanger should stop it...as long as I don't break the hanger. Fingers crossed.