TJ questions before the build thread commences

BobK

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So as those of you following my search for a TJ know, I have found the starter Jeep. It's a 2003 TJ X with 200k miles and its 100% stock, but it won't be for long. However, before I start building it up, I have some maintenance and mechanical issues that I want to cover.

The first order of business is dealing with the oil leak(s). It is either coming from the valve cover and/or the rear main seal. Once I replace the valve cover gasket and clean it up a bit, I can see if the RMS needs replaced too. Then I will examine and/or replace belts and hoses as needed.

I've read a thread about spark plugs and the coil rail. The plugs will be replaced, the coil rail if I see any issues with it. If anyone has any thoughts on guidance on any of these tasks, feel free to comment below.

My next area is to examine the suspension components. Given that the Jeep is 16 years old, I'm concerned about bushings and tie rods. Ultimately, I will be doing a 2-3 inch lift with a full set of components, but my questions center around what areas I should concentrate on in the short term to ensure a safe vehicle.

I also will be examining the exhaust and brake components (pads, rotors, shoes and drums). Again, ultimately I am considering doing a disc brake conversion, but that will be in the later stages of this build.

I'm open to all comments and suggestions on ensuring that the base platform is solid before going crazy on upgrades.

Lastly, its been a while since I have tinkered with a TJ and back in those days I had neither the time or the money to truly upgrade very much. My last question is, with the stock Dana 30/35 axle what is the maximum tires size I can run without worrying about killing the axle. I'd like to run 35's but could live with 33's if need be, this also affects the kind of lift I chose too.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

If you don't know what kind of shape the plug boots are in, a new set might be a good idea. I found NGK plugs run the best in my 03 TJ.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5410950&cc=1416451&jsn=377

For 35's, I suggest a Super35 for the rear and some 1451 axle shafts. For 33's, maybe just the upgraded shafts.

Just freshen up the rear brakes with new shoes, hardware, and wheel cylinders and they'll get the job done.

Figure on about a $5000 budget for your build, and that's a minimum estimate. That will get you lifted, new steering gear, new tires and shocks, and all new fluids, u-joints and brakes. That will get you started, have fun!

With open diffs, (be prepared to get stuck in wet pinestraw) your Dana 30 and 35 can handle 31s with some wheel spin. No
Wheel spin, no problem, theoretically.

Lockers and aftermarket shafts you can run up to 35’s. The front Dana 30 is known to flex and break stuff if wheel spin is involved with bigger tires.