TJ rally raid build

Navigation through the desert by map and compass has got to be one of the most challenging things to accomplish. Very few if any landmarks and you’ve got to be extremely proficient in pacing and staying on staying on azimuth. I have the deepest respect for anyone who can finish a race like this! Good luck and please post updates and pics as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
31-10.5 x 15. Much better selection of tires, plus a nice bump in REAL ground clearance. Shouldn't have to worry about the Dana 35 with 31's.

Of course, that tire selection thing is prefaced with the fact that I'm in the US and you're in Switzerland. Maybe 16" tires are more common there than they are here.
I was just trying to find the right balance between rim vs tire weight and sidewall height to get the lightest combo possible. I'd have to check the tire weight specs. Lining up sponsors right now so I may have to go with one brand tire vs another. Once I know that, I'll be able to make an educated choice.

Navigation through the desert by map and compass has got to be one of the most challenging things to accomplish. Very few if any landmarks and you’ve got to be extremely proficient in pacing and staying on staying on azimuth. I have the deepest respect for anyone who can finish a race like this! Good luck and please post updates and pics as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To spice it up even more, they outlaw any use of "OPTICAL OR DIGITAL ENLARGEMENT SYSTEM" ie ... binoculars, telescopes, and cameras with a zoom greater than 85mm ...

Re the vortex pre filter ...
The install is primarily to filter desert dust and, as a bonus, get cooler air to the engine ...
Instead of the usual very long snorkel route that also routes by the exhaust manifold, thereby canceling out the cooler air charge ... and possibly melting the hose ...
I will probably go the cowl intake route and feed directly into the stock airbox.

I may have found a way to not destroy the cowl in the process. Will have to wait on the car to test the theory, mainly that I have enough depth under the cowl ... only destructive thing to do would be the hole through the firewall.

This is just a rough concept sketch, I would probably flare the top and bottom plates of the sandwich to pass more air ...

Last edited:
In addition to the cowl intake above ( I may also do a snorkel version), I decided on the windstar air box mod as I need to make room for an onboard air compressor and potentially also the winch control box.

I also like the fact that you can simply pop the "cone holder" out (the part before the filter) to clean out anything that made it past the prefilter without the need for tools of any kind ... The stock box would need to be vacuumed out or unbolted in order to empty it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
Finally received the air box and started the modification. I opted to plastic weld mine up ... my old cheapo 20 watt soldering iron was perfect ... not too hot to deteriorate the plastic but hot enough to melt it.
As many have done, I opted to shorten the box as the MAF portion in the factory Ford box is not needed on the Jeep.

I cut both sides and "tacked" it in once I was happy with the height. I did grind the tabs that were previously used to click the old MAF unit in place.

As you can see above, I had a small broken piece on the outer lip but that was easily fixed with a bit of plastic ... and some smoothing ...

Here is the lower part after "welding"

... testing for leaks ...

I opted to leave the drain hole in the filterbox ... I may or may not fill it at a later date since the airbox is high enough for any fording we might come across. Anyone know if it creates a whistle sound? I would guess not since it came from the Ford factory like that.

Here it is ready for action (it looks crooked in the pic but the base is perfectly square)
I will see if there is a way to use the rubber tabs/feet .. perhaps relocating them somewhere ...

Next step will be to place the entire unit in the engine bay and decide if I go with a 90deg 4" with the windstar's bellow (and plug the hole) or, like most have done, get a 4" to 3" silicone elbow ... the deciding factor will be ease of maintenance during the raid.

Last edited:
Finally got started with the project yesterday. First step was to take it up on a lift, and see what we are dealing with.
We also used this occasion to change the oil and flush the cooling system and recharge with fresh ... based on what is smelled/looked like, it hadn't been done in a very long time ... or ever ... next time on the lift will be transmission, axles, transfer case and brake fluids ... and some other maintenance items I should be getting soon.

Meanwhile, the Sponsor's race continues but at least we can get moving on quite a few things.

We gutted the interior carpeting and all rear bench and seat belts assemblies. We will create some kind of shelf/platform there.

gutted.JPG

Also mocked up a cardboard overhead console to give more storage and house the compulsory IRITRACK system.

Overhead_07.jpg

Overhead_04.JPG

Will have to check with helmets for the exact size but it is pretty close ... and decide what material to build it out of.
The other question will be ... do I secure solely from the roll bars and windshield or do I secure it instead/also to the hardtop itself. Anyone built something similar? If so, what material did you end up using?

I do miss living in the States and being able to build/weld all the stuff myself ...

Last edited:
I was just trying to find the right balance between rim vs tire weight and sidewall height to get the lightest combo possible. I'd have to check the tire weight specs.
Consider sticking with a 15 inch wheels & tire setup as they tend to be lighter. I'm no expert but I have done a little research trying to reduce unsprung weight on my TJ and the reps I've spoken to tell me, 15" tires are constructed with lighter compounds that flex more at higher pressures than a 16" or 17".

Thank you Wombat,
We came to the same conclusion. 15" is the size we have settled on with and we may actually stick with the current 235/75 15" (~28-7/8") NEXEN MT tires ... they are supposedly also descent in the sand ... and we can always swap at the last minute.

The rims may have to go as I am not sure how well they would fare in a rally ... anyone know if they are worth anything in terms of strength?

Wheel.jpg

And ... we may have secured a full sponsorship ... fingers crossed ...

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Even though I would have loved to just swap axles with lockers already installed, it is almost impossible to find anything at a normal price here. Any axle swap would be in the 5-6K range per axle ... so, at this point, we are looking at ARB lockers front and rear and a regear to 3.73 while in there.

We will almost certainly go with 31x10.5x15 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 or Cooper Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX, both of which performed well in the past at that same rally

An 2" OME lift kit is also probably in the cards at this point. Only kits legal here are OME 2" and Trailmaster 2".

... Switzerland is working on revising the 4x4 legislation as we speak. Who knows if we will still be legal after that! but we keep on ... car must be ready for March ...

Reactions: TJ Starting
The only "problem" we had so far when testing/driving was a weird clunking noise in the rear when starting from a standstill ... Turns out someone, at some point, installed a limited slip on the DANA 35 with way too much backlash ...
Decision has been made. Both front and rear will be upgraded to 3.73 and air lockers, which will be the singlemost important upgrade to the car besides wheels/tires.

We also decided to forgo the vortex prefilter/cowl windstar intake for now and stick with the stock box and paper filter. It will be cleaned every night anyways and is pretty well protected where it sits. That is an upgrade we can always make at a later date.

Last edited:
Reactions: bedhed
hello neighbor,
it's a beautiful project.
you can install a pre-filter on the stock arrival of the air filter.
it's easy to clean and cheap.
you attach it with a rislan.

https://www.minimx.fr/fr/filtres-a-...MIhfeBube85QIVhIxRCh3ecACPEAQYCiABEgL_OfD_BwE
Cela serait en effet une possibilité. Do you use one yourself? I wonder if it would even make a difference with the intake being inside the engine compartment. I guess it is cheap insurance. She'll have onboard air to blow everything off every night.

I use it for a long time on my off-road bikes.
I also put it on the dusty hikes with other 4x4s.
It is effective and preserves the air filter.
you can clean it with water and dishwashing detergent.
it dries in a few minutes.

you can also spray air filter grease in the box before the filter. it will stick the dust to the walls.
It will be less on the filter.

https://www.minimx.fr/fr/nettoyant-...dirt-bike.html?search_query=ipone&results=133

Both front and rear will be upgraded to 3.73 and air lockers, which will be the singlemost important upgrade to the car besides wheels/tires.
Good choice. Personal opinion but I like 3.73 for 31" tyers.

stick with the stock box and paper filter.
Believe it or not the "stock box" is the way to go as most of the intake upgrades will do little to add to performance unless your planning to revving in the very high range like above 4000 rpm

And, you do not need to install a lift to clear 31 inch tyres unless you're planning to use a disconnect sway bar, however, you may need to space the steering stoppers with a washer or too to stop contact with the lower control arms.

Only kits legal here are OME 2" and Trailmaster 2".

... Switzerland is working on revising the 4x4 legislation as we speak. Who knows if we will still be legal after that! but we keep on ... car must be ready for March ...

Europe and their Crazy laws. I bought my Jeep new in 2003 in Germany and was warned by many people to not take it off road unless at a sanctioned event. “You will get fined for each individual blade of grass, along with each individual blade of grass that would eventually grow”

You are one sharp guy, I have trouble finding my way with two GPS units in my jeep. This TRX an InReach if/when I get lost and a
GPSMAP® 66st

mag.jpg

IMG_4830.jpg

You are one sharp guy, I have trouble finding my way with two GPS units in my jeep. This TRX an InReach if/when I get lost and a GPSMAP® 66st

Not me, my GF, I'm passable with navigation but desert navigation is an entirely new ballgame ... so kudos to her.
As they say, "Gazelles - the nickname for the women taking part - don't get lost, they just stray a bit".