TJ tries to engage in neutral

Metalforger71

Hi all,
Something has gone wrong after some drivetrain repairs and I thought I would post here before tearing it back down. I have a 97 TJ with a manual transmission and a 4.0 engine. My rear driveline came loose on the freeway and beat the crap out of everything and split my Tcase. So since I had to remove a lot of parts anyway, I did some PM stuff.
Replaced: Both drivelines, pilot bearing, clutch, slave cylinder, throw out bearing, spring clips on fork arm, and installed a used Tcase. After that everything was great for about 200 miles and then I noticed some grumbling in 1st and reverse (driveway speeds) and now its worse.

With the rear axle on stands, clutch untouched, and engine idling, there is a mechanical grumble (like the input shaft on the transmission is trying to catch) and the rear wheels stumble forward an inch or so. With the clutch engaged, everything is fine. So obviously I have something going on in the fork/clutch/slave arena, but again I thought I would get some opinions before I dug in to see whats up.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Slight drag on the clutch and rumble from the transmission is normal, it's difficult to say from your description. With the emergency brake very lightly applied I'd bet the rear wheels don't move. You might try putting the parking brake on a tiny bit and then letting the clutch out with the rear wheels up until it just starts to move the rear wheels and see if that is smooth.

I appreciate the reply. This is FAR from a normal noise. Its loud and the sounds like something that is not engaging. I can physical feel the mild "jolts" as its trying to do whats its doing

Are you sure you have the new transfer case properly adjusted and firmly in gear?

(does sound like the clutch but easy stuff first right?)

With the rear axle on stands, clutch untouched, and engine idling, there is a mechanical grumble (like the input shaft on the transmission is trying to catch)
So the clutch is fully engaged or pedal out at this point, can you hit the brake and kill the engine? The clutch engaged vs not engaged terminology melts my brain sometimes. Clutch untouched means fully engaged or pedal up?

Can you tell I drive an automatic?

lol, sorry for the confusion. If the clutch is engaged, there are no noises. If the clutch is not engaged (in neutral) there is considerable noise and shaking as it the transmission was trying to engage

Hitting the brake in idle with the clutch not engaged does not nothing

Brakes just stop the tires. Seems the highest probability would be the new slave cylinder or the new throw out bearing. I will bleed the SC first before exploratory surgery :(