To love or hate the sales person...

06TJ35's

TJ Addict
I bought my currie lift from 4wheelparts online. They called me said it was ready for pick up and asked if I was looking for shocks. I said yes the rancho shocks. The salesperson then says “if your going to go that route get ProComp shocks there the same thing the same people make them”
I hate when a salesperson offers you something you didn’t ask for. Also asked if I wanted a 3 year warranty for the currie lift . Originally the warranty was two hundred and something he brought it down to $150. I’m sure the currie is a solid lift and it’s not going to break in 3 years. Jerry has had his for 10years I believe. I’m not doing any crazy offrroading yet. My jeep still needs work to be done. He said “I don’t want you to think about it later when something goes wrong” Like I said I’m not planning to do any crazy off-roading/rock climbing in the next 3 years. I’m going to wheel only 2-3 days out the month. But for $150 I might think about it. I don’t think I would need to buy the warrant though . $50 more buys me the rancho shocks. I hate when they try to talk to into things your not looking for/ might need. I like a salesperson who gives me what I’m looking for and makes the purchase fast and easy. But I guess that is a salespersons job. It benefits them in some way.

Reactions: lindsey97
I hate the “We don’t have it, but we can get it” mantra, from anywhere. I can get it too, and shipped to my house. You said you had it when I called, and that’s why I’m here. Are you telling me that you sold everything you told me you had in stock in the past hour? Yeah, ok.

Last edited:
Insurance on a Currie lift? Wow... that has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of to put "insurance" on. I think it's a joke these days how everything you buy they ask you if you want insurance on. Hell, I bought a toy for our daughter on Amazon for Christmas and it asked me if I wanted to add their "protection plan". Are you kidding me?

They're making a ton of money off the insurance game these days by offering it on pretty much everything, especially when they know full well that pretty much no one will ever use it.

I hate the “We don’t have it, but we can get it” mantra, from anywhere. I can get it too, and shipped to my house. You said you had it when I called, and that’s why I’m here. Are you telling me that you sold everything you told me you had in stock in the past hour? Yeah, ok.

Ha, this bothers the crap out of me too! When they tell you, "We don't have it but we can get it". Yeah, I can get it too... from my phone or my computer, delivered via 2-day delivery (in most cases) right to my door step through Amazon Prime.

I bought my currie lift from 4wheelparts online. They called me said it was ready for pick up and asked if I was looking for shocks. I said yes the rancho shocks. The salesperson then says “if your going to go that route get ProComp shocks there the same thing the same people make them”
ProComp is owned by the same company that owns 4Wheel Parts. They will also push the house brands over other stuff given even the slightest chance to do so. Also why they stock PC in all the stores, but not as much of the other brands.
I hate when a salesperson offers you something you didn’t ask for.
There are two sides to that. Do you believe that everyone always knows all the options available that the salesman is privy to? I've been offered stuff and went, "wow, I didn't know that was an option, sign me up".

Also asked if I wanted a 3 year warranty for the currie lift . Originally the warranty was two hundred and something he brought it down to $150. I’m sure the currie is a solid lift and it’s not going to break in 3 years. Jerry has had his for 10years I believe. I’m not doing any crazy offrroading yet. My jeep still needs work to be done. He said “I don’t want you to think about it later when something goes wrong” Like I said I’m not planning to do any crazy off-roading/rock climbing in the next 3 years. I’m going to wheel only 2-3 days out the month. But for $150 I might think about it. I don’t think I would need to buy the warrant though . $50 more buys me the rancho shocks. I hate when they try to talk to into things your not looking for/ might need. I like a salesperson who gives me what I’m looking for and makes the purchase fast and easy. But I guess that is a salespersons job. It benefits them in some way.
It does benefit them in some ways but there are times when it benefits you as well. If I had them install it, I'd pay double the asking price for an insurance policy against stupid and screwed up installs since I see so much of that from them.

Insurance on a Currie lift? Wow... that has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of to put "insurance" on. I think it's a joke these days how everything you buy they ask you if you want insurance on. Hell, I bought a toy for our daughter on Amazon for Christmas and it asked me if I wanted to add their "protection plan". Are you kidding me?

They're making a ton of money off the insurance game these days by offering it on pretty much everything, especially when they know full well that pretty much no one will ever use it.

Ha, this bothers the crap out of me too! When they tell you, "We don't have it but we can get it". Yeah, I can get it too... from my phone or my computer, delivered via 2-day delivery (in most cases) right to my door step through Amazon Prime.

They really get people on insurance no matter what it is for. If they weren't making money off of it then they wouldn't offer it. Sure the insurance on your $1000 macbook is only $100 more, but you only have a 5% chance of breaking the computer anyways so the insurance should only be worth $50 to you (and it only costs apple $50 to provide). Insurance works on people who can't afford to buy the macbook again if they break it and on people who don't know how basic expected value works.

I will always recommend people stay the hell away from 4wheelparts or any other chain Jeep shop. I handed 4wheelparts a list of parts back when I didn't know any better and they basically shoved me out the door when they saw I wanted a Currie lift kit. Never even gave me a quote. 4wheelparts and the like make their money off people who don't know any better and just want some "turty fi ench mud tars" on their truck.

Reactions: lindsey97
They really get people on insurance no matter what it is for. If they weren't making money off of it then they wouldn't offer it. Sure the insurance on your $1000 macbook is only $100 more, but you only have a 5% chance of breaking the computer anyways so the insurance should only be worth $50 to you (and it only costs apple $50 to provide). Insurance works on people who can't afford to buy the macbook again if they break it and on people who don't know how basic expected value works.

I will always recommend people stay the hell away from 4wheelparts or any other chain Jeep shop. I handed 4wheelparts a list of parts back when I didn't know any better and they basically shoved me out the door when they saw I wanted a Currie lift kit. Never even gave me a quote. 4wheelparts and the like make their money off people who don't know any better and just want some "turty fi ench mud tars" on their truck.

Exactly.

Insurance is a game of odds and statistics. When I bought my new TV, they offered me insurance on it for 5 years for an extra $350. I laughed, because I knew that just like with cars, they tend to build things so that they don't break until they are well outside of warranty, otherwise these companies would be losing money. So I opted to pass on the insurance, knowing that it likely wouldn't break.

Sure, you might be one of those unlucky people where it does break, but those odds are so slim that if you were in Vegas ready to lay down a big bet, you'd be stupid not to bet against those odds.

Like you, I won't ever recommend anyone to buy from or have work done at 4WheelParts. The majority of the people working there have no idea what they're talking about, let alone what they're selling. I've seen some pretty damn questionable work come out of their shop too, such as that guy on here who had the sway bar discos installed but they were installed on the opposite sides, so at full articulation they'd likely be hitting the frame.

In all fairness though, it's really hard to find good shops these days who do quality work. Or in my case you actually find a shop who does indeed do quality work, they just don't seem to grasp the concept of why you'd want an equal amount of up-travel and down-travel ;)

Exactly.

Insurance is a game of odds and statistics. When I bought my new TV, they offered me insurance on it for 5 years for an extra $350. I laughed, because I knew that just like with cars, they tend to build things so that they don't break until they are well outside of warranty, otherwise these companies would be losing money. So I opted to pass on the insurance, knowing that it likely wouldn't break.

Sure, you might be one of those unlucky people where it does break, but those odds are so slim that if you were in Vegas ready to lay down a big bet, you'd be stupid not to bet against those odds.

Like you, I won't ever recommend anyone to buy from or have work done at 4WheelParts. The majority of the people working there have no idea what they're talking about, let alone what they're selling. I've seen some pretty damn questionable work come out of their shop too, such as that guy on here who had the sway bar discos installed but they were installed on the opposite sides, so at full articulation they'd likely be hitting the frame.

In all fairness though, it's really hard to find good shops these days who do quality work. Or in my case you actually find a shop who does indeed do quality work, they just don't seem to grasp the concept of why you'd want an equal amount of up-travel and down-travel ;)

My shop has been open since 1994 so they're a little old fashioned in terms of what they install on TJ's. They install a lot of long arm kits and crazy steering stabilizers because that is just how most TJ's were built back around 2002-2010 and thats when the shop was really building a lot of TJ's. Most shops do all JK's now a days so they just rely on what they remember from 2008 to do their TJ's. They've lost track of whats popular or best for TJs simply because they don't do many any more. Rubicon Express and Skyjacker seemed to be the popular suspension kits back when TJs were really popular, not Currie or Savvy. And anyways, most people going to a shop aren't going to pay for Currie or Savvy.

In terms of your shop, I don't get it. Basic suspension numbers don't depend on JK versus TJ or from kit to kit (well, maybe a little considering outboarding for the Savvy kits. But I feel like the same basic premises are still there). They just seem to not have enough knowledge to correctly set up a suspension that is "custom" (used loosely) like the Savvy kit. I bet 0 of their customers complain about how they do it either, besides you of course.

My shop has been open since 1994 so they're a little old fashioned in terms of what they install on TJ's. They install a lot of long arm kits and crazy steering stabilizers because that is just how most TJ's were built back around 2002-2010 and thats when the shop was really building a lot of TJ's. Most shops do all JK's now a days so they just rely on what they remember from 2008 to do their TJ's. They've lost track of whats popular or best for TJs simply because they don't do many any more. Rubicon Express and Skyjacker seemed to be the popular suspension kits back when TJs were really popular, not Currie or Savvy. And anyways, most people going to a shop aren't going to pay for Currie or Savvy.

In terms of your shop, I don't get it. Basic suspension numbers don't depend on JK versus TJ or from kit to kit (well, maybe a little considering outboarding for the Savvy kits. But I feel like the same basic premises are still there). They just seem to not have enough knowledge to correctly set up a suspension that is "custom" (used loosely) like the Savvy kit. I bet 0 of their customers complain about how they do it either, besides you of course.

That's true. Currie and Savvy seem to be more modern brands in terms of TJs. Back when they first came out, it was Rough Country, Skyjacker, ProComp, Rubicon Express, and subpar companies like that. It wasn't until companies like Currie and Savvy came along and had years and years of experience to play around with the TJs that the stuff started getting really good.

Hell, that Savvy mid-arm wasn't even released until 2016! Long after the TJ had stopped being produced.

I don't think any of their customers complained. A Google search for RJs Chassis Dynamics yields nothing but positive reviews, and a lot of them at that. I also can't dispute the fact that they are super, super nice guys, keep you informed the entire way, and a pleasure to talk to.

For whatever reason or another, they just have this idea in their head that as long as the shocks have some sort of travel, it works. Hell, I actually felt bad complaining because these guys are so nice that you don't even want to be rude to them.

Live and learn I guess!

Reactions: ElectricWizard
That's true. Currie and Savvy seem to be more modern brands in terms of TJs. Back when they first came out, it was Rough Country, Skyjacker, ProComp, Rubicon Express, and subpar companies like that. It wasn't until companies like Currie and Savvy came along and had years and years of experience to play around with the TJs that the stuff started getting really good.

Currie has been around and building Jeep stuff longer than any of those other companies if I'm not mistaken. They've been in business for about 59 years and built a lot of stuff for the CJ and YJ's they used to wheel.

We knew their product and used them long before they were mainstream, but they were there, building away.

Reactions: RubiconMike
Currie has been around and building Jeep stuff longer than any of those other companies if I'm not mistaken. They've been in business for about 59 years and built a lot of stuff for the CJ and YJ's they used to wheel.

We knew their product and used them long before they were mainstream, but they were there, building away.

Currie has been around for a long time and making TJ parts for a long time but I think they have only really broken into the TJ market in the past 8-10 years. Back when RubiconOwners.com, or hell even Jeepz.net, was the go to forum people were more likely to recommend Clayton or Rubicon Express to people looking at a lift. Nowadays it is all Currie or Savvy.

Like you said, they were good before they were mainstream, but now they are really taking off. Most shop owners only remember times before Currie was mainstream.

Last edited:
I just want to chime in on something from a retail standpoint. I work at a motorcycle shop and have been at the same shop since 1995. I was the parts manager for 18 years and the service manager for the last 5. I'm not going to say every sales person does it right, i'm a buyer as well and get where you are coming from, but that being said it's our life. Trying to up sell you on something or sell you something that is our "house" brand may make me more commission and that feeds my twin 12 year old daughters and wife. (And myself sometimes) Lol

Everyone here has a job, and most jobs require us to try and sell something to someone else. If you are a contractor you try and up sell the better kitchen or a bathroom remodel, it's how you make money. Everyone here has someone to feed and you work to make sure there is food on the table. (And for Jeep parts) =)

I get the frustration we all have sometimes but remember, they have a family as well. I always let them give me their sales pitch and politely decline if it's something I don't want or need. Lets try and keep that in mind when we buy our Jeep parts.

Another thing is if you have a good brick and mortar shop near you that sells the parts try and buy from them if possible and not the internet. Don't get me wrong, I buy online all the time as well if the deal is that good, but I try and support my local guy because when I need good advice or something done on the vehicle I can't do myself they will be there to help. With the way the internet and Amazon are going one of these days brick and mortar shops will be gone and that will be a sad day in my book.

Anyway, have a blessed Sunday everyone! Happy Jeeping!!

Reactions: RubiconMike
They are "salesmen" so that is their job. I don't mind it as long as they don't get pushy and/or dickish about it. I worked the office at the gear shop and often recommended something other than what the customer was asking for. Primarily because many of them were uniformed and leaning the wrong way so it was our job to point them in the right direction. If they chose to disregard our advice, then so be it. At least we tried.

4wheelparts and their parent company Transamerican suck beyond description. Pro comp is junk, made in china, and I hold Transamerican responsible for the transition of offroad parts being made in China.

We were a vendor for 4wp for 5 years. Sold a lot of lift kits and other parts. Never could make any profit on their products, you would order an item from them, get a price when ordered, then when you picked the item up, 4wp would add freight and/or change the price. Never again!! I will go well out of my way to not buy product from 4wp, even if I have to wait or go without. I am still very young, have plans to build many rigs, so they cost themselves a lot of profit.

There is a Procomp bumper on my Jeep I have in layaway, it is a like new bumper, and looks nice. But it will be coming off as soon as I get the Jeep home, and a AMERICAN MADE Rockhard will be going on.

Screw 4Wparts!!!

I just want to chime in on something from a retail standpoint. I work at a motorcycle shop and have been at the same shop since 1995. I was the parts manager for 18 years and the service manager for the last 5. I'm not going to say every sales person does it right, i'm a buyer as well and get where you are coming from, but that being said it's our life. Trying to up sell you on something or sell you something that is our "house" brand may make me more commission and that feeds my twin 12 year old daughters and wife. (And myself sometimes) Lol

Everyone here has a job, and most jobs require us to try and sell something to someone else. If you are a contractor you try and up sell the better kitchen or a bathroom remodel, it's how you make money. Everyone here has someone to feed and you work to make sure there is food on the table. (And for Jeep parts) =)

I get the frustration we all have sometimes but remember, they have a family as well. I always let them give me their sales pitch and politely decline if it's something I don't want or need. Lets try and keep that in mind when we buy our Jeep parts.

Another thing is if you have a good brick and mortar shop near you that sells the parts try and buy from them if possible and not the internet. Don't get me wrong, I buy online all the time as well if the deal is that good, but I try and support my local guy because when I need good advice or something done on the vehicle I can't do myself they will be there to help. With the way the internet and Amazon are going one of these days brick and mortar shops will be gone and that will be a sad day in my book.

Anyway, have a blessed Sunday everyone! Happy Jeeping!!
A salesman offering a house brand is one thing. Them showing you the door if you want another option is something else.

4wheelparts and their parent company Transamerican suck beyond description. Pro comp is junk, made in china, and I hold Transamerican responsible for the transition of offroad parts being made in China.

We were a vendor for 4wp for 5 years. Sold a lot of lift kits and other parts. Never could make any profit on their products, you would order an item from them, get a price when ordered, then when you picked the item up, 4wp would add freight and/or change the price. Never again!! I will go well out of my way to not buy product from 4wp, even if I have to wait or go without. I am still very young, have plans to build many rigs, so they cost themselves a lot of profit.

There is a Procomp bumper on my Jeep I have in layaway, it is a like new bumper, and looks nice. But it will be coming off as soon as I get the Jeep home, and a AMERICAN MADE Rockhard will be going on.

Screw 4Wparts!!!
Not that it matters but Transamerica is now owned by Polaris.