To re-gear or not to re-gear, that is the question

Godzilla 54

I recently bought a 2004 Wrangler with a 4.0 and automatic transmission, a Dana 30 front axle and 44 rear axle. I'm running 33" tires now, and may increase the size to 35's. The vast majority of my driving is on pavement and when I go off road, it's nothing I'd need a rock crawler for. So, what gear ratio should I be considering to install, and as a bonus question, what type of locking diff shi be considering ? I've heard that only an Air Locker or E locker should be installed while others say put a Detroit Locker in the rear and a lunchbox locker in the front. I'm new to these TJ's and most of my experience is in the C J 5&7. In those, I ran small block Chevy engines, turbo 350's and 400's, installed customized transfer cases, and only used built Dana 44 axles front and back. So, I'm open to suggestions on the TJ .
THANKS

513 gears for your tranny, engine and tire size

If you don’t see snow and ice, lunchbox in Dana 30/Detroit in the Dana 44. Bulletproof combo.

If you do see snow and ice, e-locker or ARB’s front and rear.

X2 definitely regear, you'll even likely get better mpg after doing so if you're running bigger tires. My 2004's mpg jumped from under 12 mpg to 14.6 after regearing to 5.38 for 35's since the engine was lugging before the regear. 5.13 is what to regear to. I'd say 5.38 even for 33's but your Dana 30's limit is 5.13.

Ratios like 5.13 aren't being suggested for offroading or rock crawling needs, they are what is appropriate for the highway.

The vast majority of my driving is on pavement and when I go off road, it's nothing I'd need a rock crawler for
I'd avoid locking the front at all, just get a selectable for the rear when it's in the budget or when you start getting stuck. Even if you do it after gears it's allot less money to setup so it's not like you have to do it all at once.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Agree with 5.13 for 35's and your setup. If you're not setup for lockers at all, I'd do an Eaton E-locker in the rear. Sounds like one locker would be fine. Doesn't seem worth it to run air lines for air lockers when you're mostly street driving.

If you like how it drives with 33s drive it. Don’t lock anything unless your gonna wheel it. If you go 35s you may wanna change gear ratios. Your rear Dana 44 may actually have an LSD trac lock (it should). Don’t go spending money you don’t need to spend.

Reactions: LONGJP2 and pagrey