Too much rust?

DE_EJ

45125.jpeg
45124.jpeg
45123.jpeg
45122.jpeg
45121.jpeg

Hello Everybody,
I'm brand new here and in the process of buying a used jeep. This forum has been great for information. This jeep is in Virginia and I'm in Delaware, but here are some pics that the dealer sent me as, of course, I'm worried about rust.

I'm after a used 2002-2004 jeep. I personally think this rust isn't too bad for this 2004 jeep wrangler with 93,000 on it but some does seem a bit worrisome. The frame looks almost strangely clean.

I'd appreciate any feedback you all could give. Thanks, E.J.

looks like frame was spray painted to me. texture looks off and first photo seems to look like black overspray onto bottom of the tub.

front wheel wells appear painted black too.

doesnt look terrible, but who knows whats within the frame.

Definitely sprayed but overall don’t look to bad. I’ve seen much worse. I’d say depends on the dealer price. And yeah I’d finger the frame to see if it’s corroding inside.

Definitely sprayed but overall don’t look to bad. I’ve seen much worse. I’d say depends on the dealer price. And yeah I’d finger the frame to see if it’s corroding inside.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. Yeah, doesn't look too bad, but it's definately hard to tell without seeing it. They want $10,000 with 93,000 miles on it. Too high?

Post photos of where the transfer case skid plate attaches to the frame please.

Looks pretty clean for a Jeep near the northeast. Mine is from Rhode Island and has its fair share of rust on the front diff. One thing to do is lift the carpet and check around where the seat bracket bolts to the floor and both footwells for rust. I looked at a jeep and when I lifted the carpet and pushed my finger into the floor it went clean through. Also, the bushings look pretty new all around so they have taken care of it in that sense. However, the front diff. cover looks a little fishy the way the paint is textured and the amount of sealant that is on the right side of it.

Secondly, ALWAYS negotiate the price; every little bit off counts. Every car seems to have their hidden gremlins that will start to pop up as you drive it. Take this into account when trying to be a shrewd negotiator :)

It looks quite good in my rust belt opinion.

At least they're not asking $10k for something with this much rust. . .

imagejpeg_0(2).jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Jamison C
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help. My goal is for my wife and I to tow this wrangler behind our rv. Travel the country and do some fairly hardcore exploring. I want to get a rubicon to have decent capability from the get go, but my $15,000 max budget seems to get rubi's with over 100,000 miles. But a vehicle over 100,000 miles flat out scares me.

I know to look for a well maintained wrangler, and I'm in no hurry so we'll see. I admit, 04-06 LJ's look sweet as well. Little extra room.

It does not sound like you will be driving it a ton of miles (just towing) I would not be afraid of a 100K+ 4.0 rubi if it is from the right part of the country. Buy Frame/rust condition first, then look at the rest.