Track bars on export / RHD Jeeps

JoshNZ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi all,

Hoping to either gain some insight from export/RHD owners, or run some problems and my solutions past the general expertise of this forum.

So, living in New Zealand makes sourcing parts a bit harder, and having a RHD Jeep makes a lot of the steering/suspension products less common.
What I've got is a RHD TJ, 3.5" lift, Dana 44 in the back, SYE and Double Cardan DS and will very shortly have adjustable CAs. (PO made a great start, I'm going to finish)

This question is regarding the rear TrackBar. I need to centre the axle, so will likely get a simple bracket like this made (cheaper/easier to make one than buy + ship one).
Bracket mounts to the frame end:
Frame mount.jpg

This could solve my centring problem, but my big problem is then accounting for the rotated axle.
For some horrible reason, the axle end bracket looks like this:

Axle bracket.jpg

As you can see, rotating the axle is going to put the standard bushing off its rotational axis, so it isn't going to work
My thoughts are tracking down an adjustable bar, with a joint that allows more rotation (like a johny joint, which will allow rotation off its typical axis.
Thoughts??? I'll have to very careful to make sure what I end up with will work and clear gas tanks axles etc

Are the stock track bars hollow or solid? Could cut and tap it to accept a johny joint end?

Cutting that awful bracket off would be ideal, but our vehicles are inspected every 6 months (older cars) and welding of suspension components is technically not allowed.
Another option I'm thinking about would be to cut that bracket extension off, leaving just the axle mounted perch, and coming up with some sort of bracket that suits, and is bolted to that small perch. Drilling and bolting would be acceptable, welding not, don't ask me why.
However, I'd end up with a lot of rotational moment on a bolted connection, and I can't see how I'd get more than one bolt through it..

Has anyone else got any ideas?

P.s, the surface rust will eventually be wire brushed and treated, I promise.

Weclome to the forum..good to see another Kiwi on here.(where in NZ are you ?)... I see you problem and yes I hear ya...getting parts are a real problem here.
This could be a question for somebody with allot more knowledge than me....paging @Jerry Bransford or @mrblaine Can you guys shed any light on this ???

EDIT Thought @Colin from up north may be able to help too

Auckland as well, Remuera/Meadowbank. I saw your profile the other day and hoped you'd comment. Hope to run into you in person some day!

I tend to enjoy tinkering just as much as I do driving, so haven't had this one out all that much.
Would love to get your recommendations on trails and tracks within a reasonable distance of Auckland

It's a bit of a trade-off, small common parts are infintely cheaper and readily available form somewhere like RockAuto - huge pro of American cars (and how much cooler are Jeeps than Safaris and Landcruisers?)
Shipping of large parts - huge con.

Weclome to the forum..good to see another Kiwi on here.(where in NZ are you ?)... I see you problem and yes I hear ya...getting parts are a real problem here.
This could be a question for somebody with allot more knowledge than me....paging @Jerry Bransford or @mrblaine Can you guys shed any light on this ???
Sorry but RHD components are not something I'm the least-bit familiar with.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Hi all,

Hoping to either gain some insight from export/RHD owners, or run some problems and my solutions past the general expertise of this forum.

So, living in New Zealand makes sourcing parts a bit harder, and having a RHD Jeep makes a lot of the steering/suspension products less common.
What I've got is a RHD TJ, 3.5" lift, Dana 44 in the back, SYE and Double Cardan DS and will very shortly have adjustable CAs. (PO made a great start, I'm going to finish)

This question is regarding the rear TrackBar. I need to centre the axle, so will likely get a simple bracket like this made (cheaper/easier to make one than buy + ship one).
Bracket mounts to the frame end:
View attachment 72787

This could solve my centring problem, but my big problem is then accounting for the rotated axle.
For some horrible reason, the axle end bracket looks like this:

View attachment 72788

As you can see, rotating the axle is going to put the standard bushing off its rotational axis, so it isn't going to work
My thoughts are tracking down an adjustable bar, with a joint that allows more rotation (like a johny joint, which will allow rotation off its typical axis.
Thoughts??? I'll have to very careful to make sure what I end up with will work and clear gas tanks axles etc

Are the stock track bars hollow or solid? Could cut and tap it to accept a johny joint end?

Cutting that awful bracket off would be ideal, but our vehicles are inspected every 6 months (older cars) and welding of suspension components is technically not allowed.
Another option I'm thinking about would be to cut that bracket extension off, leaving just the axle mounted perch, and coming up with some sort of bracket that suits, and is bolted to that small perch. Drilling and bolting would be acceptable, welding not, don't ask me why.
However, I'd end up with a lot of rotational moment on a bolted connection, and I can't see how I'd get more than one bolt through it..

Has anyone else got any ideas?

P.s, the surface rust will eventually be wire brushed and treated, I promise.
The track bar is solid. It is not large enough to bore and tap. What I would do instead is make a sleeve that is threaded on one end, slips over the cut off track bar and weld that to the track bar to get it adjustable. Should be able to be done at the frame side.

Thanks guys,

Yes! this was my new and improved idea right after I submitted the post.
For my application, I'd prefer the end with the most off-axis-rotation to be the axle end. Therefore the adjustable end would be down there too.

In an ideal LHD world, other than clearance, ease of access etc, any reason to have the adjustable end up top?
In practice, which end would see more (out of plane) rotation from the suspension arc, if any?

Thanks guys,

Yes! this was my new and improved idea right after I submitted the post.
For my application, I'd prefer the end with the most off-axis-rotation to be the axle end. Therefore the adjustable end would be down there too.

In an ideal LHD world, other than clearance, ease of access etc, any reason to have the adjustable end up top?
In practice, which end would see more (out of plane) rotation from the suspension arc, if any?
Which end doesn't matter. The frame end has more straight section to press a sleeve over.

Reactions: JoshNZ
Auckland as well, Remuera/Meadowbank. I saw your profile the other day and hoped you'd comment. Hope to run into you in person some day!

I tend to enjoy tinkering just as much as I do driving, so haven't had this one out all that much.
Would love to get your recommendations on trails and tracks within a reasonable distance of Auckland

It's a bit of a trade-off, small common parts are infintely cheaper and readily available form somewhere like RockAuto - huge pro of American cars (and how much cooler are Jeeps than Safaris and Landcruisers?)
Shipping of large parts - huge con.
I'm in East Tamaki... Im always around somewhere on the weekend wave out or stop me if you see me about.
I'll be the only guy driving around with the doors off haha
And yes, cant beat a Jeep and even better you cant beat a TJ...there are way too many JK's flying about with the windows up and their AC on haha

Drilling and bolting would be acceptable, welding not, don't ask me why.

I won't ask why but I do wonder how they accept all those pieces that are already welded in various places all over any axle to begin with.

What I would do instead is make a sleeve that is threaded on one end, slips over the cut off track bar and weld that to the track bar to get it adjustable.

While this is what I'd be leaning toward doing, will this pass an inspection?

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I won't ask why but I do wonder how they accept all those pieces that are already welded in various places all over any axle to begin with.

From our transport association's website, a reason for failure is;
1. In the absence of specific permission in the manufacturer’s instructions:
a) a steering or suspension component has been welded as part of the repair, or
b) a steering or suspension component has been heated as part of the repair.

So I guess it makes sense, trust the manufacturers, but don't trust the person who got their hands on a welder.
You can get mods like this approved, but its an expense I'm not willing to pay for just one little bracket.
Would rather get a bunch of mods certified once all done.

While this is what I'd be leaning toward doing, will this pass an inspection?

Weirdly yes, I'd just call it an aftermarket track bar, which should be acceptable.

NZ has semi-strict rules, not as harsh as Australia, but boy do I envy the (almost) anything-goes way things work over your end.
My GF is from Portland, OR. Has been here for about two years, we're going to look into moving back there when I can get a Visa. Can't wait!

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I buy from the US mainly. The local industry is far too skewed to Ford, Toyota or Nissan. Most things you can get from the US it's only RHD air con/heater and steering stuff thats hard to track down.

updated with a rear - whiteline do one.
Cheers, for $355 + conversion + shipping, I think I'll stick to making one. Want an end with a more flexible joint too.

Appreciate the suggestion though!
And agree, once I've got these few things done, It'll be good to enjoy the US parts again

I buy from the US mainly. The local industry is far too skewed to Ford, Toyota or Nissan. Most things you can get from the US it's only RHD air con/heater and steering stuff thats hard to track down.
Hey Daz if you do need help with any parts within Aussie let me know I have about 3 Jeep parts importers businesses on my books...even though I'm in NZ all my clients are Aussies..might be able to get you a good deal.

Reactions: JoshNZ
My GF is from Portland, OR. Has been here for about two years, we're going to look into moving back there when I can get a Visa. Can't wait!

Oregon is a great place to live. Not the cheapest place and the taxes aren't good, but probably less expensive than what you have in NZ.