Transfer case stud nuts gone, what to do?

shakeyJake

Supporting Member
Hey guys, I just got this TJ, my first Jeep, and I've got a lot of vibration under drive. The TJ I bought is a 2000 with a 2" lift on it and I've purchased a Transfer Skid Plate Lowering Kit after l did some research.

This morning while measuring the axle length that I'd need to get an SYE Kit, I noticed that the nuts on the studs connecting the TC to the skid plate are gone, just rusted clean away. What do you guys recommend I do?

Are these studs that can be backed/drilled out and retapped/replaced, or am I looking at a new TC?
IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg

The studs you're looking at are part of a drivetrain mount which uses a rubber isolator to soak up vibrations. Support the drivetrain near the transmission bellhousing and remove the transfer case skid from the frame (6 bolts). At this point you'll be able to clearly see the mount and how it bolts to the bottom of your transfer case. Get yourself a new mount and it will have new studs. You'll likely need to source some new flange nuts also to reconnect the mount to the skid. Good luck!

Reactions: Chris
Yep, get yourself a new transmission mount and the studs will be part of it. The studs aren't part of the transfer case.

IF there is that much rust where the studs and nuts are missing; I would make sure to LIBERALLY spray the 6 bolts holding the skidplate to the frame rails. They are more than likely badly rusted too.
I would recommend when replacing the transmission mount; you purchase the Mopar OEM mount and not one of the cheaper Chinese knock offs. If you search this forum you will notice others have complained about the aftermarket mounts only lasting 1-2 years. Make sure to apply some anti seize to the bolts when reassembling.

Thanks so much for responses guys. I ordered the Poly trans mount last night to replace my existing (or non-existing) mount.