Transmission input shaft wear (clutch replacement)

EugeneJeep

So I'm in the process of replacing my clutch after hearing some gnarly screeching and difficulty shifting gears.

I finally wrestled my transmission out and see that my pilot bearing (what's left of it) is all ground up. Next I see that my input shaft has a somewhat substantial groove where it rides on the pilot bearing. As you can imagine this made the transmission an absolute nightmare to get out.
IMG_20210127_141807859_HDR.jpg

Where do I go from here? Is it ok to put things back together or will that just cause the pilot bearing to fail much quicker? My assumption is that I need a new input shaft or it to be sleeved or a resurfacing or?

Let me know what you think. All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

That looks bad, I'd have it replaced. The input shaft's p/n is 5013302AA.
Thank you for the speedy response Jerry. I'll do that.

I also just noticed a crack in one of the flywheel bolts. Not sure how this would happen. I assume this should be replaced too. All of them actually. The flywheel looks good to me. Every other part of the clutch system is completely shot.
IMG_20210127_145221251.jpg
IMG_20210127_145245592.jpg

Another question. There is a seal on the pilot bearing (see pic). Does this face towards the transmission?
IMG_20210127_150024415_HDR.jpg

Toss the pilot bearing and switch to a pilot bushing. A good oil impregnated bronze bushing. Mic up that shaft end after getting it cleaned up and see if the whole end is out of spec or just the groove is. You can get a bushing made to fit at any decent machine shop if the shaft isn't total 💩. I won't make that call from a pic, let the machine shop decide. A good bushing can last soooo much longer than a bearing (especially a Chinezium bearing) can.

To be honest, Jerry is correct if the shaft is crap, but whether you go with a new shaft or clean up your old one, use a bushing instead of a bearing. But if a good shop says the input shaft is ok then I (as in ME) would not hesitate to keep it. If they say they need to pull the shaft to machine it then the labor (other than the actual machining) to put in a new shaft would be the same.

Reactions: Blondie70
Also, looks like you have some hot spots on your flywheel. Be sure to throughly sand down the whole surface to see how deep they go. Most can be cleaned up with some 80 or 100 grit. Be sure to leave the surface a bit rough to help bed the clutch (sorta like brakes) in. Too smooth and it can want to slip a bit as everything gets to know each other.