Transmission Recommendations

JEEP GC

1997 4.0L 6cyl. TJ 5-spd 4x4 2dr. Sport

Bought this with 250,000 miles and a blown engine. Replacing the engine with a reman from S&J Engines. The previous owner told me that the transmission had been giving him problems for quite a while. I decided that I might as well replace the transmission too. This is a DIY project with son so all the work will be done inhouse. Looking for opinions for a tranny replacement.... P.S. Going to be gearing as well. Thanks in advance.

X2 to the AX-15 recommendation. It's a good transmission and it'll bolt right up as it's the transmission the factory installed originally.

Thanks for all of your expert comments... I bought a new AX-15 from Advanced Adapters for $1,661.60 with a 45 day delivery promise. I am now off to the races with a Reman 4.0L 6cyl and a new tranny.
What is cool is the Father/Son aspect of this-

He will lay awake at night looking forward to driving it.

Years later he will remember the time spent, as well as know how to use a set of tools.

You will look back too, and remember the time together.

The rest of your lives every Jeep you see will warm your heart a little.

This is a great forum for any new TJ owner- we have everything from shop owners, parts designers, to enthusiasts like me that just want to keep the thing rolling straight. And we have Zorba, he belly dances in full regalia and knows a lot about camels, he comes along at no extra charge.

Your son will enjoy the build threads. This forum can be key to a positive experience restoring a TJ Wrangler. The older ones have simple systems, a great transmission, more comfortable seats in my opinion, less interior plastic and can be made to drive and run like new with attention to the bushings and steering. Parts are available and cheap generally.

Stick Around.

Reactions: Apparition