Transmission temperature guage in cooler line

Paulv

Supporting Member
I have a 97 TJ with what I think is a 98 remanufactured 4.0 engine and automatic transmission. The transmission cooling lines to the separate cooling radiator are all rubber and need to he replaced due to damage from rubbing on other body parts. It seems like I should put some type of inline temperature guage while I am replacing the lines from the tranny to the separate cooler. I cant find any threads where someone actually did this to their jeep. Does anyone have any recommendations on the brand to use? I really dont want to spend the time to replace the transmission pan, so inline guage sensor sounds better to me. Thanks in advance.

I have a 97 TJ with what I think is a 98 remanufactured 4.0 engine and automatic transmission. The transmission cooling lines to the separate cooling radiator are all rubber and need to he replaced due to damage from rubbing on other body parts. It seems like I should put some type of inline temperature guage while I am replacing the lines from the tranny to the separate cooler. I cant find any threads where someone actually did this to their jeep. Does anyone have any recommendations on the brand to use? I really dont want to spend the time to replace the transmission pan, so inline guage sensor sounds better to me. Thanks in advance.
Is your engine temperature sensor in the radiator hose?

No experience with my Jeep, autos and temp gauges...but I added a Maxx Tow temp gauge to my 2001 F250. The sender screwed into a bung on the side of the transmission in a spot folks said was an ideal spot to gauge temperatures. Single wire to the gauge, pod on the pillar, switched power and illumination and done.

I'd imagine there is a similar port on your transmission.

-Mac

No experience with my Jeep, autos and temp gauges...but I added a Maxx Tow temp gauge to my 2001 F250. The sender screwed into a bung on the side of the transmission in a spot folks said was an ideal spot to gauge temperatures. Single wire to the gauge, pod on the pillar, switched power and illumination and done.

I'd imagine there is a similar port on your transmission.

-Mac
Thanks. It will be interesting to see if anybody knows if that is true with this TJ automatic transmission.

Gee, I'm not sure. How can I tell?

Gee, dont want to sound dumb, but I'm not sure. Would I be able to tell by looking for wires coming from the radiator hose? Thanks!
It is not. It is in the motor because you want to know how hot the motor is, not how hot the coolant is, just like you want to know how hot the transmission is, not how hot the fluid going to and from the radiator is.

Thanks. It will be interesting to see if anybody knows if that is true with this TJ automatic transmission.
There are several ports on all 3 autos. Most of them are in the way of the driveshaft swinging by the pan. The easiest most effective method for adding a sensor is to add a bung to the oil pan.

It is not. It is in the motor because you want to know how hot the motor is, not how hot the coolant is, just like you want to know how hot the transmission is, not how hot the fluid going to and from the radiator is.
So if I understand you correctly, I should put the sensor in the transmission? If so, is there anywhere in the transmission already to plug it in, or should I just go with the new drain pan method?

Sensor in the pan according to Blaine...he mentioned three ports that might be used in the side...but if you stuck a sensor in then it would probably interfere with the front driveshaft sweep as the suspension cycled.

If you could find a low profile sensor I would imagine a port in the side would be more accurate...one of the biggest issues with measuring temp in a transmission is where you take the reading...where the sensor is...you generally want the sensor in a spot to measure temperature right after it passed through...fluid should be the hottest at this point.

But that goal is often subject to available ports and interference.

What's the normal delta in temperature on these transmissions?

I always try and keep my truck under 210...my understanding is you'll cook the fluid past that...but that's me towing 5 tons plus of gravel with a gooseneck.

-Mac

Sensor in the pan according to Blaine...he mentioned three ports that might be used in the side...but if you stuck a sensor in then it would probably interfere with the front driveshaft sweep as the suspension cycled.

If you could find a low profile sensor I would imagine a port in the side would be more accurate...one of the biggest issues with measuring temp in a transmission is where you take the reading...where the sensor is...you generally want the sensor in a spot to measure temperature right after it passed through...fluid should be the hottest at this point.

But that goal is often subject to available ports and interference.

What's the normal delta in temperature on these transmissions?

I always try and keep my truck under 210...my understanding is you'll cook the fluid past that...but that's me towing 5 tons plus of gravel with a gooseneck.

-Mac
There isn't a low enough profile anything for the later trans. We at times pull out the little hex plugs and convert them to lower profile Allen drive to get them out of the way further and they only stick out 1/4".

250 sustained is bad. Below that is fine.

What you want to know is how hot the trans is, nothing else matters.

Reactions: macleanflood
Think about replacing your trans pan with one that has a drain plug. At the same time, add a bung hole for a temperature sensor that you can wire to a gauge mounted inside on the dash, console, A pillar, etc.

There are several ports on all 3 autos. Most of them are in the way of the driveshaft swinging by the pan. The easiest most effective method for adding a sensor is to add a bung to the oil pan.
I sure appreciate your help! Would you buy an aftermarket pan that already has the bung? Do you have an opinion on what senser/guage to use?? Thanks again!!!

I sure appreciate your help! Would you buy an aftermarket pan that already has the bung? Do you have an opinion on what senser/guage to use?? Thanks again!!!
I would if I could find one that way I wouldn't have had to braze in the 50 or so I've done for folks.

Nope, just find a gauge you like and use the sender in the box that comes with it.

Reactions: MountaineerTom