California Trip to Cali - Best trails?

kiwi

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hoping to take my TJ down to California this summer. Specifically heading to Long beach, but looking for the “must do” trails while in Cali.
Planning to do the Rubicon for sure

What other trails are must do’s? Even if they’re more scenic than difficult

Hoping to be on 35’s with a TT if that helps

Fordyce near rubicon

In the LA area calico is pretty cool. Lots of trails and tons of old Mines.

Reactions: Rickyd and kiwi
Do you have Lockers ?

Rubicon Trail one locker helps out a lot, Fordyce one is mandatory and two is much better, Depending on your route if your in South Lake Tahoe you can go over to Hwy 88 and do the Deer Valley Trail to Hwy 4 and then do Slick Rock.

What ever you do post it in the CA section and you may get others to join up with you

And @Plumber1 brings the best treats 😋

I bring these and only pass them out at the end of the trail. This way I make sure if I brake down I always get help getting out :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Bunt.jpeg

Do you have Lockers ?

Rubicon Trail one locker helps out a lot, Fordyce one is mandatory and two is much better, Depending on your route if your in South Lake Tahoe you can go over to Hwy 88 and do the Deer Valley Trail to Hwy 4 and then do Slick Rock.

What ever you do post it in the CA section and you may get others to join up with you

I am going to try and get my axles ready by the time i go, but i will most likely not have lockers.

I am going to try and get my axles ready by the time i go, but i will most likely not have lockers.

Then I would pass on doing Fordyce, my buddy that only has a rear locker struggles on that trail. Rubicon on 35's with a winch and a buddy you could do w/o to much trouble

Reactions: Alex01 and kiwi
Then I would pass on doing Fordyce, my buddy that only has a rear locker struggles on that trail. Rubicon on 35's with a winch and a buddy you could do w/o to much trouble

Thanks
What’s some of the easier trails in that area? Something for 31’s - 33’s?

Personally I think Fordyce is harder then the Rubicon. Not as long, but rocks are sharp. Deer Valley is a nice trail. Signal Peak off I-80 around Cisco Grove is nice. If coming down 50 lots of nice trails off of Mormon Immigrant Road too.

Reactions: Plumber1 and kiwi
Personally I think Fordyce is harder then the Rubicon. Not as long, but rocks are sharp. Deer Valley is a nice trail. Signal Peak off I-80 around Cisco Grove is nice. If coming down 50 lots of nice trails off of Mormon Immigrant Road too.

Yep! I'd agree Fordyce is harder, 3 winch hills and a high flow river crossing. PG&E turns down the flow during Sierra Trek event.

Reactions: Plumber1
Hoping to take my TJ down to California this summer. Specifically heading to Long beach, but looking for the “must do” trails while in Cali.
Planning to do the Rubicon for sure

What other trails are must do’s? Even if they’re more scenic than difficult

Hoping to be on 35’s with a TT if that helps

From Long Beach area, you have Big Bear area about 2 hours away. You have scenic trails Clark’s grade goes from the bottom of the mountain to the village by the lake. 3n16 is a fire road that runs through Holcomb valley. For more technical trails, gold mountain, John Bull, Holcomb creek and Dishpan. There is also Cleghorn trail right off the 15 fwy on the Cajon pass.
Calico about 3 hours from Long Beach has some good trails, an old ghost town (owned by Knotts Berry Farm) there is campgrounds and primitive camping.
To the south about 3 hours there is Anza Borrego/ Ocotillo well area. Large area a variety of trails and open area called truck haven.
To the north about 3 hours is also Johnson Valley home of “ king of the hammers” more extreme stuff out there.
I live in Long Beach so if you want to message me when you will be in the area, I can let you know if we are heading out.
If you are heading down in August or September you may be restricted to Big Bear area due to the heat in the desert.

Reactions: bucky
Last edited: