Trouble installing Rancho RS5000x shocks

maxtj

Supporting Member
I'm new to the forum so not sure if this is the right subforum to ask for help in.

I'm frustrated and somewhat embarrassed from struggling with my Rancho RS5000x front shock install. I'm trying to replace the Rough Country shocks on my jeep from the PO.

The rears were easy and so was taking off the front.

When I got to installing the front shock, I found that the bar pin was too wide and the holes would not line up like the old Rough Country shock did. I tried the other Rancho front shock and it lined up perfectly. After this I asked the store for a replacement and figured I got one bad one which they were nice enough to ship. Just my luck - the new replacement didn't line up either. I thought it could be bad luck, getting two bad shocks in a row so I ordered yet another front shock from Amazon and surprise, the bar pin doesn't line up with the holes again.

What am I missing? Do I force the bolts to go in at an angle? Try to replace the bar pins with the ones from my old RC shocks which work perfectly? I'm pretty sure I have the right model number - RS55255. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QWX6JYK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The bar pins for the front and rear have different spacing....we're the bar pins already installed in the shocks?

I'm new to the forum so not sure if this is the right subforum to ask for help in.

I'm frustrated and somewhat embarrassed from struggling with my Rancho RS5000x front shock install. I'm trying to replace the Rough Country shocks on my jeep from the PO.

The rears were easy and so was taking off the front.

When I got to installing the front shock, I found that the bar pin was too wide and the holes would not line up like the old Rough Country shock did. I tried the other Rancho front shock and it lined up perfectly. After this I asked the store for a replacement and figured I got one bad one which they were nice enough to ship. Just my luck - the new replacement didn't line up either. I thought it could be bad luck, getting two bad shocks in a row so I ordered yet another front shock from Amazon and surprise, the bar pin doesn't line up with the holes again.

What am I missing? Do I force the bolts to go in at an angle? Try to replace the bar pins with the ones from my old RC shocks which work perfectly? I'm pretty sure I have the right model number - RS55255. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QWX6JYK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I installed these recently (well, I used the stock-height ones). Do you have a pic you can share of how the one front shock lines up fine but the other one doesn't?

They are not always installed on new shocks...rancho maybe they are I can't say
Yeah, they are installed on the Ranchos. I'll post photos later after work.

@TheBoogieman are you recommending cutting out the holes in the bar pins to make them a "wedge" like your photo? I was wondering about that, that'd certainly get them in.

@SSTJ here are the photos. The hole is completely off from the mounting side. The other shock lined up perfectly and is currently installed on the passenger side, however I've tried it on this side and it works here as well.

shock_not_lining_up.jpg

shocks_installed.jpg

@SSTJ here are the photos. The hole is completely off from the mounting side. The other shock lined up perfectly and is currently installed on the passenger side, however I've tried it on this side and it works here as well.

View attachment 310275

View attachment 310276

Wow, so the shock that is currently mounted on your passenger side fits there perfectly, and also fit perfectly on the driver's side? If that's what you mean, then I'm afraid I have nothing to offer. I'd say it sounds like there's something wrong with the shock, but you already returned it for another.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but of course I'm tempted to say you could twist it into position, but I'm sure you've tried from every which angle already. Is the other mounting bolt already tightened down? Maybe try loosening it to get some wiggle on the other side, and then when they're both lined up tighten them at the same time?

Wow, so the shock that is currently mounted on your passenger side fits there perfectly, and also fit perfectly on the driver's side? If that's what you mean, then I'm afraid I have nothing to offer. I'd say it sounds like there's something wrong with the shock, but you already returned it for another.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but of course I'm tempted to say you could twist it into position, but I'm sure you've tried from every which angle already. Is the other mounting bolt already tightened down? Maybe try loosening it to get some wiggle on the other side, and then when they're both lined up tighten them at the same time?

Yep exactly, the good one fits on either side. I'm starting to question my sanity now :D The other bolt isn't tightened down but I can't seem to line them up. I just measured the old rough country shock I took off for good measure and the mounting holes are about 2 1/2 center to center. These new ones are more like 2 3/4

I'm tempted to just give up and put the RC shock back on and let my mechanic deal with it when the Jeep goes in for regearing and lockers next week.

Yep exactly, the good one fits on either side. I'm starting to question my sanity now :D The other bolt isn't tightened down but I can't seem to line them up. I just measured the old rough country shock I took off for good measure and the mounting holes are about 2 1/2 center to center. These new ones are more like 2 3/4

I'm tempted to just give up and put the RC shock back on and let my mechanic deal with it when the Jeep goes in for regearing and lockers next week.

Ok, and did you measure the holes on the new Rancho shock that's currently on your passenger side? I think that'll be the real sanity check!

Ok I got these installed. What a pain in the rear. For others, I inverted the bottom bolts, putting the nuts on top figuring I’d rather deform the bolt and the pins rather than the body mounts.

For the top, after struggling with the spinning rod with an impact socket and an impact wrench, I had good luck with switching to a standard socket and grabbing the shock shaft with my hands and holding in place.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Reactions: SSTJ