True Texas TJ Build

TrueTexas

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Decided to start my build thread today.

I bought my Jeep, a 1999 4,0 Sport with manual transmission as a project from a buddy of mine in January 2019 with 197k miles. Started as just a toy to cruise around our local area and take to the beach a handful of times each year. I bought it from a buddy and coworker of mine who was the original owner for $5k.

Before I chronicle the build over the last 16 months, I wanted to start with a pic of where I started compared to where I currently am. I say currently because I'm still a ways off from being done. I may never get to done but I'm having a bunch of fun.

As purchased in Jan 2019
IMG_20190105_232228_01.jpg

As of April 29, 2020
IMG_20200426_164444.jpg

Reactions: JMT
Thanks @Kris M . The addiction is real. I've haven't gotten a chance to write about all I've done so far over the past 16 months but it's been fairly extensive engine, tranny, suspension etc...I'm finally at the smaller things like HVAC and body/interior. By my math I've spent as much on parts as I did on the Jeep (Mopar parts are pricey) and still have about 1500 to go. 100 percent my labor. I even bought a second TJ that is exactly the same as the first because I just couldn't pass it up after seeing it had a new Dana 44.

Reactions: JMT and Kris M
Thanks @Kris M . The addiction is real. I've haven't gotten a chance to write about all I've done so far over the past 16 months but it's been fairly extensive engine, tranny, suspension etc...I'm finally at the smaller things like HVAC and body/interior. By my math I've spent as much on parts as I did on the Jeep (Mopar parts are pricey) and still have about 1500 to go. 100 percent my labor. I even bought a second TJ that is exactly the same as the first because I just couldn't pass it up after seeing it had a new Dana 44.
You will have to meet up with us sometime at Hidden Falls and Wolfs caves. They have Started to open back up.

Reactions: JMT
@Kris M . Sounds great. Both my wife and I grew up in Austin so we know Hidden Falls/ Marble Falls well. Haven't been to Wolf Caves but always down for a road trip